Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yip, that's the goblin.

I said goodbye on Friday morning. I'm conflicted. Wasted way too much money on her, but I was so sad to see her go. :cry:

Well, we are also buying our very first new car. It's Mazda though.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Thank god...im happy to see that car go...lol

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been through 3 engine ECU's in the few short months I've been able to drive it. Plus the engine rebuild, plus the Sele ECU + + + + +.

It's a money pit and an addiction that I can't afford to support anymore.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Really sorry to hear Ryan.

This car IMO, was one of those cars that ended up in a thread, and that thread "galvanised" to a large extent this forum, especially the SA section. Was insparational.

Congrats on the new car as well

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congrats on the upcoming new car, Ryan! Must have been cathartic on some level to see the goblin go:).
Thanks. But not really. I almost cried. I did stand in the middle of the street, in the rain till after it was gone from sight.

I still look out the window as if expecting to see it out there still. Or like it might find it's way back home.

Really sorry to hear Ryan.

This car IMO, was one of those cars that ended up in a thread, and that thread "galvanised" to a large extent this forum, especially the SA section. Was insparational.

Congrats on the new car as well
I never really thought of it like that, but I can see what you mean. For me it was more a case of doing what needed to be done than anything else. I was surprised and grateful for all the help and encouragement, though.

Not to worry, though, there might just be a V6 rebuild project on the way. 164 has, I think, run a big end bearing.
That, the 147 being dead and the jetta burning out the wireing in it's dash has pushed us into getting the Mazda 6. I should get it some time this week. If all goes well.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Man many memories in your garage with the rest of the AO'ers lol Though I think the sale was probably for the best

Congrats on the new car, its needed esp with the little one.

Kev0

K

·
0 Posts
Your 164 , if you suspect big end don't drive it as it will damage crank worse . It's easy to analyze , it just has a horrible knocking sound from bottom of engine which gets worse as you rev it . Open bonnet and listen where sound is coming from . Use long screw driver and put plastic end to your ear . Stay away from any moving parts .

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I don't understand why people are sorry...this should have happened years ago, I'm sure Ryan would agree but his was one of THOSE Alfas.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I almost cried. I did stand in the middle of the street, in the rain till after it was gone from sight.
I had my moment when I traded my 156. I left it at the used car department. 30m away was a brand new 159 waiting for me. It took me more than 15 mins to cover that distance. My wife offered me tissues twice to wipe the "dust" from my eyes:rolleyes::lol:

Congrats on your new car, and at least you still have a 164 that you can love!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had my moment when I traded my 156. I left it at the used car department. 30m away was a brand new 159 waiting for me. It took me more than 15 mins to cover that distance. My wife offered me tissues twice to wipe the "dust" from my eyes:rolleyes::lol:

Congrats on your new car, and at least you still have a 164 that you can love!
I know the feeling....... when I sold my GTV I actually had to drive it to its new home..... leaving it there walking away with it looking sad......................................

Was a mistake selling..............................................:(

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
I let my wife take in the red 156, I remember when I sold my Gold 156 SW, I did peck away a tear..... I sooooo adored that car, it still hurts now....
Ryan, in your case, I know you poured lots of blood , sweat and tears, as well as a load of cash, into that 147, but I have to agree with Lance here..... good riddance. You still have the 164 to keep the Alfaholic inside you happy !

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
When I sold the Giulietta I was in the MAD state and just getting out of it, fresh from another robot embarrassment it left me hanging...I was adament to sell it. When it drove off down the street I felt two emotions. Happiness and sadness...but more happy than sad, i don't even miss the car, and I was R8000 richer!!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your 164 , if you suspect big end don't drive it as it will damage crank worse . It's easy to analyze , it just has a horrible knocking sound from bottom of engine which gets worse as you rev it . Open bonnet and listen where sound is coming from . Use long screw driver and put plastic end to your ear . Stay away from any moving parts .
I had no choice, but to drive it as it was the only car I had that would both start and drive down the street. Luckily, now that I have finally taken delivery of the Mazda 6, called "The 6", it can park up and take a well deserved break and get some mechanical pampering.

For now I must Finish up repairs to the Jetta and flog that too. :vomit:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts