Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great Soth African Alfa hero, Brian Smith sadly passed away yesterday. :(

He suffered from Leukemia and fell into a coma just before Christmas.

It came as a bit of a shock to most of us as a fellow racer

Brian was a true gentleman and did a lot for motor racing and Alfa Romeo in SA. He just retired as chairman of the Western Province Motor Club (Killarney) due to health reasons after heading the club for many years.

Brian have been racing his meticulously maintained red Alfa Berlina (originally built by Andre Ellis) for many years. Initially in Clubmans and until recently in Classic Racing. He was very quick indeed, running class B/C times against the likes of Porche 911's and Mazda Rotaries, etc and was the fastest Alfa on the track at Killarney a few years ago.

He was very involved with the Cape Alfa Romeo Club locally and the Club nationally for many years (I think he was the national chairman +- 2001).

I regularly saw him running around Killarney, making sure racedays ran smoothly (as recently as earlier this year) and will always remember his generosity in loaning his immaculate red 156 GTA to use as my wedding car 2 years ago. A real nice and humble guy - He was always friendly and keen to chat and provide advice when I started racing my Giulia as a rookie a few years ago.

A great loss for his family and friends, racing in SA and Killarney and to Alfisti in SA.

R.I.P Brian, you will be greatly missed

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My Thoughts are with his family, he was an integral part of all things motoring in this country, RIP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts