Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It being Bank Holiday I spent a relaxing morning (before I got up) and afternoon catching up on reading.

Kazuo Ishiguro - "Nocturnes" - his latest consisting of short stories. Not often I laugh out loud when reading but this time I did. "Come Rain or Come Shine" in particular did it for me. Recommended.

Anyone else read a good book recently?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I'm struggling at the moment to find a book I can get into :( I've started several, but given up :(

However, I've just started to read "The girl with the dragon tattoo" which is shaping up nicely :)

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm struggling at the moment to find a book I can get into :( I've started several, but given up :(

However, I've just started to read "The girl with the dragon tattoo" which is shaping up nicely :)
Liz has started it twice and now is saying it's looking good.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I've got into quite a state of confusion on the reading front at the moment because: I finished The Generals, and then my son-in-law gave me Young Bloods! Totally and completely the wrong way around, but I'm enjoying the latter regardless.:thumbs: :):

P

·
0 Posts
I really enjoyed 'The Time Traveler's Wife' - it's not often I can remember the titles of books I have read :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Just read In search of Robert Millar covering his entire career as Scotlands most sucsesfull racing cyclist :thumbs:

One before was Frank Skinners autobiography....very, very funny :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I just finished reading The Last Gospel by my namesake David Gibbins.

I must admit I read it because the author has the same name as me
rather than any knowledge of whether or not it was a good book :D

It took me a little while to get into it but around half way through it
clicked and I didn't want to put it down :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
I just finished reading The Last Gospel by my namesake David Gibbins.

I must admit I read it because the author has the same name as me
rather than any knowledge of whether or not it was a good book :D

It took me a little while to get into it but around half way through it
clicked and I didn't want to put it down :thumbs:
I've just bought this :D

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - a trilogy in five parts by Douglas Adams, rest his soul. I've read it five or six times and still get loads of laughs. Try his Dirk Gently series for a really surreal read.

Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is an excellent intro to almost every branch of science. Very well written and totally understandable.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I have a distant recollection of what lazy Bank Holiday weekends/lie ins/book reading was like....

With an 18 month old, My current reading list includes Peppa Pig (the five book set, cardboard, 4 pages per book - all pictures of Peppa in different outfits), the Roary the Racing Car trilogy (hard to say how many pages per book. most have been thoroughly chewed) and The Hungry Caterpillar (he went in the bath with it last night so it's now the Soggy Caterpillar).

We read these while listening to the wife throwing up as she's now 13 weeks in to incubating another baby.

I suspect my grown up reading will be on hold for a few years yet.....

P

·
0 Posts
I read Stephen Donaldson's 'White Ring Wielder' Trilogy when pregnant, having just given birth and through the first few weeks of my son's life.

Some books are THAT GOOD nothing stops you from reading them :D

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I have a distant recollection of what lazy Bank Holiday weekends/lie ins/book reading was like....

With an 18 month old, My current reading list includes Peppa Pig (the five book set, cardboard, 4 pages per book - all pictures of Peppa in different outfits), the Roary the Racing Car trilogy (hard to say how many pages per book. most have been thoroughly chewed) and The Hungry Caterpillar (he went in the bath with it last night so it's now the Soggy Caterpillar).

We read these while listening to the wife throwing up as she's now 13 weeks in to incubating another baby.

I suspect my grown up reading will be on hold for a few years yet.....
I wish I had 50p for every time I've read 'the hungy caterpillar' - and 'the gruffalo'

Would anybody like me to recite 'Smilie Shark' to them :confused:

"Smilie Shark was the biggest and friendliest fish in the sea...."

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Kazuo Ishiguro - "Nocturnes" - his latest consisting of short stories. Not often I laugh out loud when reading but this time I did. "Come Rain or Come Shine" in particular did it for me. Recommended.

Anyone else read a good book recently?

I'm just about 1/3 of the way through The Unconsoled, by Kazuo Ishiguro. An older novel of his I missed the first time around. It's shaping up to be a very strange story, but I'm really enjoying it:)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Finished 'The Blade Itself' by Joe Abercrombie, its the first book I have picked up in a while that I really enjoyed that I hadnt read before. Onto the second book now and about two thirds through it within a day and a half.

Thoroughly recommended if you like fantasy books.:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
Finished 'The Blade Itself' by Joe Abercrombie, its the first book I have picked up in a while that I really enjoyed that I hadnt read before. Onto the second book now and about two thirds through it within a day and a half.

Thoroughly recommended if you like fantasy books.:thumbs:

Nice one Mr DeaDlock - just read the blurb for the book on tinterweb... hooked. This'll be next on my reading list me thinks :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts