Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To describe tonights weather :D

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" :thumbs:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ahh...a Monkey is the term given to a set of rails around a ships mast to hold cannon balls. They were made of brass, to beat corrosion by the sea water. But being made of brass they would contract in the cold weather! When this happens the cannon balls would fall on to the deck. Hence the above phrase!!

Am I right or am I right???!!!

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh...a Monkey is the term given to a set of rails around a ships mast to hold cannon balls. They were made of brass, to beat corrosion by the sea water. But being made of brass they would contract in the cold weather! When this happens the cannon balls would fall on to the deck. Hence the above phrase!!

Am I right or am I right???!!!
Pretty much right, you only missed one bit out :D

The balls are made of Iron and the rate of contraction between the two metals is different hence the balls fall off :thumbs:

·
Registered
941 Posts
HM I stand corrected, sir. :) :thumbs:

While we are on naval terms......do you know why it is bad luck to whistle on board ship????

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks just like the Wiki link but the Wiki link is better because it gives Metallurgical explanation about different types of brass :D

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
In the days of sail 'Bamboozle' meant to deceive a passing vessel as to your ship's origins by flying an ensign other than your own -- a common practice of pirates.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Another one - Between the devil and the deep
The devil being a seam below the main deck, where the officers had their quarters, and the "crew" would be below it. So below the devil was not a good placwe to be!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
The devil being a seam below the main deck, where the officers had their quarters, and the "crew" would be below it. So below the devil was not a good placwe to be!!!!:thumbs:
Close :)

In wooden ships, the "devil" was the longest seam of the ship. It ran from the bow to the stern. When at sea and the "devil" had to be caulked, the sailor sat in a bo'sun's chair to do so. He was suspended between the "devil" and the sea -- the "deep -- a very precarious position, especially when the ship was underway.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Close :)

In wooden ships, the "devil" was the longest seam of the ship. It ran from the bow to the stern. When at sea and the "devil" had to be caulked, the sailor sat in a bo'sun's chair to do so. He was suspended between the "devil" and the sea -- the "deep -- a very precarious position, especially when the ship was underway.
Do I get a small cigar?????:lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts