Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that's not posh enough for the detailing forum.

I finally have my 164 back -- simply put, it's not been run on a daily basis since September.

Lifting the bonnet, I was saddened to see that, in addition to some less-serious neglect, the intake pipes have developed rust spots - one or two, quite bad.

My question is, can anything be done to them to restore them to their former glory (these were, if not concours, at least in very good condition), short of having them re-chromed?? Or do I have to find replacements for them? :(

Of course, with the current weather situation, and not having a garage to avoid the elements, I'm looking for something that I can do with them in situ for the time being... anything that anyone can suggest as a stop-gap measure, even if just to prevent them getting worse?

Thanks, guys..

J

·
0 Posts
any good polishing compound will do the trick, the thing to watch out is to make sure it is not too abrasive....

Autosol is excellent but very abrasive and will strip some of the plating if used too heavily

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Funny enough, I've just been doing that on my "new" 164! I've ended up taking them off because there's 20 years of yuk on them and it's easier to do when they're off the car. Another vote for Autosol from me. The visible rust spot that you can see is actually a very tiny speck of rust that has broken through the chrome plating. The majority of it will be a stain that has spread out from round the pinhole in the chrome, but is on top of the surface of the chrome. If you polish it, therefore, you should be able to reduce the visible rust to an (almost) invisible spot. I've been using Brasso, which is slightly less aggressive than Autosol, but takes longer.

If you can't live with the tiny rust spots, then I can't think of any alternative but to re-chrome. There are companies that do this sort of thing but I'm told the cheap ones will whack chromium straight on top of steel. The problem with chrome is that it is a long way from mild steel in the galvanic series and will therefore attack the steel that it's sitting on top of - quite hard. That's why once you've got a perforation in the chrome, you're ultimately doomed. The better platers coat the steel with copper, and then the copper with nickel, before finally coating the nickel with chrome. Each metal is only slightly further along the galvanic series than the previous one, so the plating is much more stable and will last longer.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

Av, what's your Brasso technique? I'm thinking mine won't be as bad as yours, from the description in your post (mine were reasonable three months ago!).

Will this, in itself, stop them getting worse, or should I coat them with something once they've been Brasso/Autosoled? Something doing the job wax does on exterior paintwork?

And would anyone have an idea as to cost of "good" replating? (I'm thinking this might be the time to look for 42mm pipes...)

·
Registered
741 Posts
thin coat of wax / oil /grease / vaseline will protect while it is laid up.
Other forum can get wheel bolts re-chromed for about £6 each. might be worth getting in touch. There is even a spare set doing the rounds, so maybe we could set up the same if someone has a spare set to start the ball rolling.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I use regular household furniture wax (Mr Sheen). It has wax and some silicon in it.. so it stays on there even after you ran the engine. I'm guessing any normal car wax will do though. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ... I wasn't sure if normal wax would stay on, the temperature these pipes get to...

Cheers guys! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Av, what's your Brasso technique? I'm thinking mine won't be as bad as yours, from the description in your post (mine were reasonable three months ago!).

Will this, in itself, stop them getting worse, or should I coat them with something once they've been Brasso/Autosoled? Something doing the job wax does on exterior paintwork?

And would anyone have an idea as to cost of "good" replating? (I'm thinking this might be the time to look for 42mm pipes...)
Nothing special, just wipe it on with a clean rag - liberally. Rub it in for a while, then polish off with a clean, dry rag.

The flanges on the bottom were quire cruddy and I used a small brass-bristled wire brush for that area (again, soaked in Brasso).

I'd be interested to know how anyone gets on with the protective coating. To my knowledge, there's nothing that will adhere well to polished chrome. I did wonder about alloy wheel lacquer but I tested it and you don't get the gloss that you get with bare chrome. They look a bit mottled and milky. Perhaps bodywork wax or some of the other suggested stuff will work better, I might give some of those a try!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Av... :thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts