Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Contemplating a return to Alfa ownership after a few years in the wilderness. Sud, Sprint, 33, 145 and 147GTA in my past, so it would be something of a homecoming.

The only trouble is I seem to have picked up something of a family of late.

Anybody have multiple kids and a G? Ours are 12, 7, and 3. 12 year old rarely comes with us (as we're not cool enough), so it's mostly two kids.

Will be downsizing from a Merc ML (told you I was in the wilderness), so space is a big issue.

I know I should be looking at a 159SW, but I don't really want a 159SW. I want a G! If I was going to go all sensible, I'd go for a Legacy or an Accord or something ghastly like that...

Anybody have any experience of cramming multiple small people into Milan's coolest?!

Many thanks...

·
Registered
98 Posts
You should have no problems fitting the people in the car, but if you had to go somewhere I would think you will struggle with the luggage, youll probably have to get a pod or something.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
my 16 year old refuses to travel in the back of the G, as he says the rear seats are painful (right over suspension?) - but I've had 5 up on long trips in the G QV with no complaints. Luggage may mean you need a topbox for holidays though

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
my 16 year old refuses to travel in the back of the G, as he says the rear seats are painful (right over suspension?) - but I've had 5 up on long trips in the G QV with no complaints. Luggage may mean you need a topbox for holidays though
I have had 5-up for a 100 mile there and 100 mile back in the same day - 4 adults and 1 (tall for her age) 6 year old on a booster cushion thingy. Everyone said they found the GQV very comfy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am 185cm tall, and for me, Giulliueta in the back is verry small. Delta is much bigger. So I think you should take your family to a test drive.

·
Registered
33,722 Posts
The Delta, as a Chrysler , does not sell very well in the UK and has Bravo-like dynamics . Roomy and depreciates faster than the Giulietta .

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Interestingly the difference in wheelbase & wheel/tyre combo size means there is hardly any difference in rear passenger space between a Giulietta and a 159. As has been said before it's the luggage space that'll be tricky. Then again how often will it be fully loaded?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a problem, 1 child at front and 2 children at the back with booster seats along with girlfriend. Never had any complaints.
Not even from the girlfriend? In the back? Where'd you find her?!

Thanks for all the replies. 99% of our driving, even when it's four or five of us is an hour or less, and mostly a lot less. Luggage not a huge issue now the little one is out of a pushchair. It's mostly shoulder and elbow room in the back: room for playing on the DS is jealously guarded!

The G is on the (very) shortlist...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gf in the back shouldnt be a problem unless if you have a really tall italian one ;). If you have the opportunity, the best option would be to take the whole family for a test drive. Thats how i was able to convince my better half!

·
Registered
200 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. 99% of our driving, even when it's four or five of us is an hour or less, and mostly a lot less. Luggage not a huge issue now the little one is out of a pushchair. It's mostly shoulder and elbow room in the back: room for playing on the DS is jealously guarded!

Lol. It seems quite lexurious compared to the abarth 500 we were in. Even then we all fit and only changed for more room in the boot lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Lol. It seems quite lexurious compared to the abarth 500 we were in. Even then we all fit and only changed for more room in the boot lol.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I honestly don't think I would want to use the G as a full time family car and we have two children. Have used a 159 SW in the past whose rear legroom was questionable but had a massive boot for all their stuff when they were younger. Either keep the Merc or wait for the Giulia.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Returned Sunday evening from a ski trip in the French Alps. 950Km each way with 3 kids ( 12, 10 & 8) in the back. Parcel shelf off, 2 smallish suitaces, ice skates, sledges, cat litter and bags and bags of other bits. Absolutely no problem. Go for it ! :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
We are 2 +3 kids (well adults - 19, 19 & 20) and the issue is more about the shape of the luggage! We are intending to shop around for cases that fit together better in the boot so there is minimal space wasted.
Have decided that for longer holidays we will use the roof.

·
Registered
33,722 Posts
I reckon the Giulietta benchmarked the Golf for boot space judging from the info at launch. The headroom was probably compromised in comparison in the rear seats.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depends how tall you are/how far you like your seat back. Can be a bit of a squash in the back if the driver has their seat back too far - definitely is in my case if any adult were to sit behind me, thought I'm 6ft tall and like my seat relatively far back.

As others have mentioned, go test one with the family - find the most comfortable seating position and get someone to sit behind you during the test to see how comfortable it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts