Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
The screw one on mine works very well, doesn't take much force at all to seal properly, or loose too much air on removing. You just need to pull it a little whilst unscrewing, so the valve in the wheel closes fast as possible

·
Administrator
47,535 Posts
Another person here who much prefers the screw type to the flip top. Always had reliability issues with the latter, never with the former.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Screw valves are much better...

Not all electric compressors are the same! Please don't get a cheap one as it won't pump an entire flat tire. I used to have a Halfraud compressor and it would just cut out after a few mins as it's cheap & nasty components couldn't cope.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^ I've gone for the Michelin to inflate my Pirellis as as you recommended. Why would I not be positive about something recommended by Negativvv? Next stage is to watch the delivery man trying in vain to stuff it in our post box, as with my wife's bras. (Thinks: would it inflate... oh, never mind).

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
When you say “it” which ‘it’ would that be?

I did have a Michelin one quite some time ago, usefully it had a feature where the pressure could be preset and it would stop pumping when that was reached; it was quite accurate too.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
^ I've gone for the Michelin to inflate my Pirellis as as you recommended. Why would I not be positive about something recommended by Negativvv? Next stage is to watch the delivery man trying in vain to stuff it in our post box, as with my wife's bras. (Thinks: would it inflate... oh, never mind).
The Michelin "cake" is the best! No idea why they made it that shape and it's fairly bulky...

I recently invested into some compact USB tyre compressor. Probably a scam, I'll believe it when it ships!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I got this one a couple of years ago to replace a Halfords one that had actually given good service. I've no complaints about the performance or accuracy of it, but if the valve is at 12 o/c, the hose isn't long enough and if you've a big car the lead may not reach the back wheels easily. Oh, and with this one, it won't pump until it's sure you've finished amending the pressure.....

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I have an old Halfords twin-cylinder which is indestructible, even surviving being driven over once or twice...

The air line is rubbery plastic and has perished at the L-piece clamp a couple of times, so it starts to leak a bit... but if I cut off the last 10mmm where the jubilee clip has caused the plastic pipe to split, I cab refit the L-piece and it's fine for a few more years. I already bought a new airline for it, for when it gets too short.

The L-piece got broken when it was run over.. so that's new but the cylinder compression is good and all the hinges and pivots work well still. I occasionally lubricate them too.

The gauge used to read about 5% high compared to a pencil gauge but when I ran it over the second time, that seems to have sorted the gauge out, so it reads perfectly.

For my shed, I bought the nearest thing I could find to the Halfords ones (newer Big H. gauges look too flimsy to me) which is made by Draper.

That looks slightly more flimsy than my road-kill Halfords one... but it's going well. Any manual pump is a proper pump, whereas the LiLo inflater types are for fellas with inflatable girlfriends. Don't buy an electric one.. you'll soon tire of that cable and 10 minutes of rattle for no benefit.

Ralf S.

·
Administrator
88,604 Posts

·
Registered
10,265 Posts

·
Administrator
88,604 Posts
Good deal for anyone who hasn't one (y)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And another thing...

My Dad always used to gob on his valves. Now, he was a car mechanic, not given to old wive's tales or popular "wisdom", and he reckoned it sealed the valve cap and reduced leaks. Any views on this? Do you spit on yours?

·
Registered
39,608 Posts
Only to check to see if the valves are not leaking. But soapy water is so much nicer.

The Cap shouldn't be doing any sealing anyway, it is there to stop dust getting in.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts