Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always use a foot pump, because I can top up the tyre pressures on two cars in half the time it takes to drive one of them to a garage. However, I have yet to find a solidly-made pump that doesn't twist and collapse after a few years of occasional use. The longest lasting is my current Halfords-own-brand, lasted longer than all the previous "proper" brands, but today it's lying in a mangled heap after taking its last gasp.

Have looked at Amazon reviews, and the few sensible ones (i.e. not: "I bought this for my grandad and he looked really pleased") imply mankind cannot make a decent foot pump. They all look farcically fragile in the pics, not the kind of thing you'd stand on.

Time to rely on the intelligence, knowledge and insight of alfaowner members. (Yes, I'm desperate). Any views?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You mean those dodgy foot pumps that probably haven't changed at all since the 1970s? (maybe) The cheaper ones come in single chamber and the more expensive ones have a dual pump chamber...

Buy the Michelin cake, or atleast that's what I call it as it looks like one and is roughly the same size as one, I have an older version but this is the updated 12v pump Michelin Hi-Power Tyre Inflator and Detachable Digital Gauge: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
I have a Goodyear tyre inflator, it works well. I have found however that in most cases the gauges on them are woefully inaccurate, so I always check with a seperate digital gauge after.

I wouldn't go back to a mechanical pump that is for sure.

Previous to the Goodyear i had one of these and it lasted around 5 years.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
The worst part about the foot operated tyre pumps is when your foot slips off and you get a nasty crack on the ankle. I have electric pumps in each of the cars (they came with them) and one in the pannier for the BMW bike, only £4. Plus one in each of the garages (came out of battery boosters and re-boxed) and one for lending to others. None of them however have accurate gauges so are backed up by accurate hand-held gauges.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I have a Goodyear tyre inflator, it works well. I have found however that in most cases the gauges on them are woefully inaccurate, so I always check with a seperate digital gauge after.

I wouldn't go back to a mechanical pump that is for sure.

Previous to the Goodyear i had one of these and it lasted around 5 years.

That's the boyo I have too....works well

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Every foot pump on the market seems to come from the same source, irrespective of branding, & they all look as though they were made by an orang-utan during its lunch break. Last one I bought fell apart second time I used it; the local car spares place I bought it from said "if I replace it, it will be the same old crap. I'll give you a refund".

I tried a 12v pump, which fell apart after a couple of years & I got fed up of having to run the engine to inflate tyres (thanks to Citroens "ecenomy mode) so I ended up buying this:

Convenient to use, solidly made & two years so far with no problems.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Looks handy and gets many positive reviews. If I didn’t have so many others I might be tempted. Also it has some other functions/features, does it come with one to get Boy Scouts out of a horse’s hoof?

·
Administrator
47,540 Posts
How quickly does it inflate stuff? I would have imagined it would be slower working on it's own battery power. (I know our cigar lighter one is much slower without the car's engine running.)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I can't really make a judgement as to how quickly it inflates stuff as all I've used it for is to top the car tyres up to compensate for seasonal variations, so it's only a couple of minutes per tyre.

Faster than I ever did the job with a foot pump, though!

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,423 Posts
I’ve got a twin barrel Michelin one that I bought about 20 years ago. It’s probably the best automotive purchase I’ve made.

it looks like this one, but maybe they’re not built to the same standard/same material anymore:

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for all the replies, guys. I shall go electric as recommended. It will deprive the neighbours of the spectacle of a skinny old man leaping up and down while swearing, and my right leg might atrophy, but on balance it has to be the right way to go.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
From those that I have taken apart all the compressors inside are pretty much the same, just packaged differently with LCD displays and external wiring of different quality.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A comment - regardless of make & manual/electric - I've found a lot of pumps these days come with screw connectors, including those Scudetto & jwq provide links for, rather than the "flip" connector. With the screw connector, you get a couple of seconds of air hissing out while you unscrew it. Doesn't matter if you over-inflate and then double check, but if you trust the gauge then it's a pain

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
My present inflator has the screw. The previous one, which it replaced, had the "flip" connector which had become so worn that it would not stay on once the pressure was applied. Having to hold it in place was much more of a pain.

·
Registered
39,622 Posts
I find that the screw ones often have to be very tight to stop leaks, and I always worry about damaging the valves by twisting them.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
You can get the flip type separately. Sometimes the flip type don’t have sufficient room to grip and flip and the screw type do have room. Then there are the air chuck type that push on with a thin metal lever/ grip but I’ve not had much luck with those.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts