Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
owned the 156 for a few weeks now, on the whole the experience has been ok bit miffed to have had to spend a few hundred quid getting the shafts replaced so soon after buying it but I guess thats the gamble with 2nd hand cars.

I'm finding I'm visiting the forum probably more than my usual forums (apart from the UK Goat Molesting forum, i love that one)

anyway enough of that, my findings thus far;

the 20V is amazing on fuel (no seriously!!) this was my biggest concern before the purchase, I've previously had a 1.8TDCI Focus which was ok on fuel, was cheap to run and maintain so going the extra cylinder, 600cc and a marginally larger body as far as I was concerned meant a fairly large increase in consumption.

well in the 2 and a bit weeks I've had it, I've covered approx 2k miles and its giving 690 miles per tank on each occasion, the range display appears to be pretty accurate too, I've put this down to basically all of the motorway driving as opposed to stop start of typical town driving.

The driving isn't foot flat to the floor but sticking to the speed limits (indicated so probably 65-70mph in reality), the odd emergency start and the occasional spirited overtaking manoeuvre.

the inside is lovely, really nice place to be, my only gripe is the base of my back is killing me I cannot work out if its because there is no lumbar support combined with squishy leather seats, or if this is coincidental with the purchase and there is something else wrong.

one other thing, the speedo isn't fluid for instance when slowing down the needle kinda drops a few mm instead of sweeping as I'd expect it to but only a certain points.

also its nice to be on a forum with so many active members and lots and lots of posts/threads to be read, my normal forum is SXOC (aside from UK goat Molesters of course) and it used to be absolutely buzzing, sadly lack of long british summers and even less driving abilities means they are becoming a rare breed and the forum reflects this..

All in all really loving the alfa experience :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
owned the 156 for a few weeks now, on the whole the experience has been ok bit miffed to have had to spend a few hundred quid getting the shafts replaced so soon after buying it but I guess thats the gamble with 2nd hand cars.

I'm finding I'm visiting the forum probably more than my usual forums (apart from the UK Goat Molesting forum, i love that one)

anyway enough of that, my findings thus far;

the 20V is amazing on fuel (no seriously!!) this was my biggest concern before the purchase, I've previously had a 1.8TDCI Focus which was ok on fuel, was cheap to run and maintain so going the extra cylinder, 600cc and a marginally larger body as far as I was concerned meant a fairly large increase in consumption.

well in the 2 and a bit weeks I've had it, I've covered approx 2k miles and its giving 690 miles per tank on each occasion, the range display appears to be pretty accurate too, I've put this down to basically all of the motor driving as opposed to stop start of typical town driving.

The driving isn't foot flat to the floor but sticking to the speed limits (indicated so probably 65-70mph in reality), the odd emergency start and the occasional spirited overtaking manoeuvre.

the inside is lovely, really nice place to be, my only gripe is the base of my back is killing me I cannot work out if its because there is no lumbar support combined with squishy leather seats, or if this is coincidental with the purchase and there is something else wrong.

one other thing, the speedo isn't fluid for instance when slowing down the needle kinda drops a few mm instead of sweeping as I'd expect it to but only a certain points.

also its nice to be on a forum with so many active members and lots and lots of posts/threads to be read, my normal forum is SXOC (aside from UK goat Molesters of course) and it used to be absolutely buzzing, sadly lack of long british summers and even less driving abilities means they are becoming a rare breed and the forum reflects this..

All in all really loving the alfa experience :thumbup:

Its a revelation when you first drive an Alfa and realize you can have looks ,handling,exclusivity,economy and the luxurious and well designed Italian interior for the same money as a focus...

I like the facelift 156 and have borrowed Loz's 2.4 JTDm on occasion as a courtesy car, If I had to replace my GT and another GT was not in the offing, the 156 with the 2.4 diesel or the 2.5 V6 would be my Go to.

they are surprisingly roomy and have plenty of boot space and rear leg room, enough for a couple of goats no probs..

Enjoy the car, If so inclined there are many performance enhancing mods you can indulge in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its a revelation when you first drive an Alfa and realize you can have looks ,handling,exclusivity,economy and the luxurious and well designed Italian interior for the same money as a focus...

I like the facelift 156 and have borrowed Loz's 2.4 JTDm on occasion as a courtesy car, If I had to replace my GT and another GT was not in the offing, the 156 with the 2.4 diesel or the 2.5 V6 would be my Go to.

they are surprisingly roomy and have plenty of boot space and rear leg room, enough for a couple of goats no probs..

Enjoy the car, If so inclined there are many performance enhancing mods you can indulge in.
I too prefer the facelift, although there is something about phase 1 i do like, quite what I'm not sure..

as for handling, that I'm not really inclined to agree with you, i find it understeers a fair amount (could be tyres) and the ride is fairly soft and squidgy but yeah I'm very pleased with it.

Having now covered a few 000 miles (and the drive shafts aren't hanging out anymore) I've really started getting used to the delivery, I can say the midrange grunt is a close second only to my Nissan (200SX' are absolutely epic for mid range btw) although the Nissan is pushing over twice the power of the Alfa I'm still amazed by the grunt regardless.

Also i think I've finally found a comfy position on the seat so my back is recovering too :D

oh and i managed to squeeze 702 miles out of it

·
Registered
822 Posts
I too prefer the facelift, although there is something about phase 1 i do like, quite what I'm not sure..

as for handling, that I'm not really inclined to agree with you, i find it understeers a fair amount (could be tyres) and the ride is fairly soft and squidgy but yeah I'm very pleased with it.

Having now covered a few 000 miles (and the drive shafts aren't hanging out anymore) I've really started getting used to the delivery, I can say the midrange grunt is a close second only to my Nissan (200SX' are absolutely epic for mid range btw) although the Nissan is pushing over twice the power of the Alfa I'm still amazed by the grunt regardless.

Also i think I've finally found a comfy position on the seat so my back is recovering too :D

oh and i managed to squeeze 702 miles out of it
I've had my 20V over 5 years now and have no intention to change. The car just ticks all the boxes I need (except for diy trips). I have never had that many miles to a tank as mine is mostly used for short trips but it can certainly do 50 mpg cruising on the motorway. Seems there is always something to fix. My front right suspension is making noises again and the glow plug light is now flashing :biglaugh:

Keith

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
few more weeks further down the line.. and 8k miles later :D

one of the first jobs i had to do after purchasing the alfa was replace the knackered drive shafts, had them done and was lovely being able to drive the car properly.

then last week i noticed the engine tray was hanging down :S so i inspected it and found it covered in grease, i think the bolts holding it gave up the ghost and has been hitting the shaft and damaged the boot on one of them:censored:

so I'm going to have to get that sorted out...

the car just keeps on getting better and better on the whole, it seems to be improving its fuel economy today granted I let it go further into the red than I usually do but i got 748 (s)miles per tank I still cannot believe how economical this thing is.

its smoking a little bit more than it did when i picked it up with great big plumes of soot on emergency starts, so i really must clean/replaced the EGR.

and someone did ask if i look back at it...i do now :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
SXOC? Nice, S13/14/14a? I still wander over there from time to time, theyre a good crack on there. :)
The alfa will infect you worse than the nissan. Mine has. I still miss the silly boost of the 14a, but then, theres a GT1544 sitting nin my garage with bits accumulating to go on to my twinny... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SXOC? Nice, S13/14/14a? I still wander over there from time to time, theyre a good crack on there. :)
The alfa will infect you worse than the nissan. Mine has. I still miss the silly boost of the 14a, but then, theres a GT1544 sitting nin my garage with bits accumulating to go on to my twinny... :)
they are a good bunch, silly boost...yes its got a stage 3a set up so it doesn't hang about

·
Registered
800 Posts
[Quote
the inside is lovely, really nice place to be, my only gripe is the base of my back is killing me I cannot work out if its because there is no lumbar support combined with squishy leather seats, or if this is coincidental with the purchase and there is something else wrong].

At first my back hurt a bit after long drives but after 6yrs my back has grown its own lumbar support to compensate ;)

Might be a height thing (im 6ft 3)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought id update this.

now covered just over 40k since buying it, its still very economical but the cam belt was due yesterday so I'm getting a little twitchy, once the belt is done I'm also going to get it re-mapped so should have a healthy 200+bhp to play with.

still loving it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts