Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , first post from me , I’ve been looking at getting a 2016 Guilia diesel speciale to take advantage of the tax on them , I’ve looked at a few and they are a truly gorgeous car to look at , some of them have the paddle shifters , are they a gimmick or useful addition, if you don’t have them can you push the selector over and use it sequentially? Do all speciales’ have electric seats and power fold mirrors ?
Is there anything I should look for ?
Thanks for any replies in advance !
John

·
Registered
554 Posts
The paddles are great! You get them as standard with the Veloce, I wouldn't be without them. If you don't have them you can put the gear stick in manual (push left) and go up through the gears by pushing / pulling the leaver.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
AFAIK all Speciale models have electric seats and mirrors as long as they are full leather sports seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s a few out there at the moment , would I be better to buy from main dealer or not ?
Autotrader only shows a few of them ,car gurus has a few more and ebay have a few listed , any other sites I should pay attention to ?

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
Don’t forget the luxury car tax if the original price included extras which took list price over £40,000.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hence me wanting a 2016/17 model , the tax is only £20 !
The higher tax rates and £40K threshold came into effect from 1st April 2017. So if you're lucky you could find a '17' reg (ie post 1st March 2017) which is still in the lower tax bracket.

I know this because mine is one of those :blabla:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The higher tax rates and £40K threshold came into effect from 1st April 2017. So if you're lucky you could find a '17' reg (ie post 1st March 2017) which is still in the lower tax bracket.

I know this because mine is one of those :blabla:
My Quadrifoglio was first registered on 28th March 2017. Dealer had promised Dec 2016 delivery and it was delayed.

It took a lot of pressure from me and the dealer to ensure its first registration didn't slip into April. I reckon the extra tax over the first 5 years of the car's life would have been about £1,250.

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My next question , does a 16/17 speciale use ad blue , the reason I ask , in my search for my next car I considered the Jag XE diesel which uses the stuff ? Nearly bought the jag until I read how they fared in reliability polls !

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
My next question , does a 16/17 speciale use ad blue , the reason I ask , in my search for my next car I considered the Jag XE diesel which uses the stuff ? Nearly bought the jag until I read how they fared in reliability polls !
It does not. We have one, a 17, going onto 60k miles now, and it is fantastic. It is by no means molly coddled, hasn't had a wash in about 6 months, mostly poor back road miles, but it just continues to drive exquisitely. Buy from a (reputable) main dealer, with a good warranty, and enjoy one of the best all round cars ever built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does not. We have one, a 17, going onto 60k miles now, and it is fantastic. It is by no means molly coddled, hasn't had a wash in about 6 months, mostly poor back road miles, but it just continues to drive exquisitely. Buy from a (reputable) main dealer, with a good warranty, and enjoy one of the best all round cars ever built.
This is the one that I’m keen on from a main dealer !

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This is the one that I’m keen on from a main dealer !

JFDI!
I've just bought a Vesuvius Grey car and it looks really good, but always wanted a red alfa, I've had two black ones and the new grey one as my budget and opportunities happened to afford. That car looks great and it has the front parking sensors which my car, same year doesn't. You should have heated seats and steering wheel and might even have the adaptive cruise control, I don't have the last thing. Cracking car to drive on the road and that's after 30 years of FWD ownership.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just found it on the motorvogue site same car as mine but in red. Same wheels, no paddles or adaptive cruise control. Looks about the right price especially from an Alfa dealer. If you buy it get them to do all the map and software updates. I got mine from Motorpoint and have had to do them all myself with the most excellent help of people on this forum, JWQ's posts have been especially helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the metallic grey too there’s one with a red interior on car gurus but in my silly mind ,I just think the red is the proper colour !

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I love the metallic grey too there’s one with a red interior on car gurus but in my silly mind ,I just think the red is the proper colour !
I always hankered for a red Alfa but as I said never quite got there. I don't like the red or tan interiors, so usually ended up with dark cars with dark interior. Having said that the black cars never looked clean, the Guilia in grey looks stunning no matter how much grime it gets between washes. It's your money and your choice what you get, that is a very nice red car at motorvogue, but the grey needs less washing!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A QF in Ireland will cost you €6000 to tax for 5 years. €1200 per annum. Thats why we work so hard.
That's cheap, the 'superbollo' on a Quadrifoglio in Italy is €3,800 pa. €20 per kW over 185kW.

That explains why mine gets so many admiring looks when I'm Italy as it is such a rare car there.

Andy

PS - Yesterday when I stopped for fuel in Bolseno, a young man asked if he could take a photo of my 'macchina bellissima'. He was delighted when I let him take a picture of the engine too. I am finding 98-100octane petrol rather difficult to locate in the Italian countryside.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts