Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are just some casual observations about the death of Michael Jackson.

People seem to fall into three camps: Those wailing at his loss, those that are apathetic toward it, and those for whom every ten minutes their phone receives another MJ joke sent via text msg.

What I have also noticed, is that the media have turned the story of his death, into a story about how the media broke the news of his death. I see, the messenger is now as important as the message. 'See how SKY broke the news'; or 'read how the news spread around Twitter', or 'view the BBC's timeline to his death', or see the 'outpouring of grief across the globe captured by xyz News' [as an aside - maybe i've not been paying enough attention, but I thought that the 'outpouring' would be greater, given the scale the media was anticipating). There was one utterly ridiculous statement in a BBC online report yesterday. It went '...as MJ's death was confirmed, a woman in Ghana started crying...' This is the kind of reporting we get when a pompous broadcaster pounces on a story and in a bid to communicate the enormity of that story, it fails to identify what's news, and what's banal. They reported a woman in Ghana cried. Sheesh, how would they report a really serious event, like, say, famine or disease?

So we know that Google went into melt down as people checked for the 'truth'; made me wonder about YouTube - would that be over stretched as everyone downloads MJ videos...but more of a worry, will it cope when everyone starts to upload their tributes to MJ?

Of course, Death is great career move, so in between rubbing their hands with glee, the guardians of NeverLand are probably dusting it down and readying plans for the MJ theme park. This will be supported by the official MJ biography, in time for Christmas. In fact, I suspect there might be quite a few books between now and Christmas by Z-list celebs, entitled 'My Michael', 'The Real Michael', 'The Michael I knew', or 'Why Michael always said, 'Uri, you're my best mate. For ever''. You get the idea. I anticipate a MJ bracelet will become popular as well, like the ones you get for showing your support for other truely worthy causes like AIDS and cancer research. A film is inevitable, too - probably a trilogy; black Michael/white Michael/recycled Michael. And if we're especially unlucky, maybe even Sir Elton will write a tribute song? (hopefully not candle in the wind; i'm just thinking of the proximity of a naked flame, and all that plastic).

For the print media, MJ dying ahead of the weekend is an absolute blessing. People have more time to read at the weekend, so, in theory weekend editions sell well. Think of how much better they will sell with a few Jackson supplements slapped in! - not just supplements, but 'Collectors' edition' specials. Who are these collectors? Do they state 'yes, I collect supplements about dead people' as the opening part of their introductory conversation?

Anyway, the man is dead, and now the vultures will circle. Are they vultures? Or are they helping to keep the man and his music alive? Hmm, I'm going for vultures; MJ's death is the first high profile death in the digital age (sorry Jade!). Of course, when Diana, her Royal Princess of a Lot of Royalness in Wales died, we had the internet. But social media was still immature, YouTube didn't exist, social networks were not as popular as they are now, digital cameras were still expensive and mobile phones were crude and underpowered compared to the feature- and smart-phones we have now. My point is this; we have the digital tools and resources to discover, capture, watch and share our own tributes to keep the memory alive. The print media no longer has all the controlling powers to decided when to prop up pop icons anymore. Look at the Liverpool Street Moonwalk Tribute held yesterday; arranged via Twitter, and broadcast via YouTube...in less time than it took the editor of the Telegraph to be briefed on who MJ was.

Strange times, these...

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Strange times indeed..

[BTW I'm not apathetic towards his death..... I'm probably indifferent :)]

But it's apparently what the majority want to see, hear and read.

I guess I'm old fashioned... it's not what I want.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree with the comments about "vultures", not pleasant when anyone dies, I don't do jokes about people who have died. I may not like a person, or I may just be indifferent towards them, but when the time comes to say goodbye, then we should at least let them go quietly and with a bit of dignity.
I am "old fashioned" too, and I think that there are far more important things happening in the World.
People can only deal with "reality" nowadays, and not reality as it is for the majority. Perhaps people feel the need to escape from reality, and attach themselves to the media created "celebrity" World, where artificial/remote experiences affect them more than their own everyday emotions.

Heavy man!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
As usual Scudetto, you've hit a raft of nails precisely on their heads.

As for keeping the music alive vs. feeding the vultures, I think the vultures are having a field day. For example I'm aware of one local (Ontario-based) radio chain that has ordered all its stations to play at least on Jackson song per hour. (I'm not if if that order is still in effect, although I'm guess it is.) I'm also willing to guess that this directive (or similar ones) has been issued to most soft rock/adult contemporary/easy listening stations around North America, if not the entire world.

Until his death, I can't say there were crowds clamouring to hear 20-, 30-, or 40-year-old Michael Jackson/Jackson Five songs on the air. Now all of the sudden that's all that's coming over the airwaves. An every time I hear one, all I can wonder is how much profit is being made by the music licensing company/publishing company/business managers/estate lawyers/assorted other leeches who are now profiting from the incessant airplay?

Still, you have to feel sorry for the entertainment media outlets. They didn't even get to finish with Ed McMahon (I don't think he's has his funeral yet), and then they've got to cover Farrah Fawcett. I'm sure they're thinking they can milk that story for at least a couple of weeks, and then bang, a few hours later Jackson takes over the world. If everything were fair, then these three celebrities deaths would have spaced themselves properly over the course of an entire summer. Easy programming and super ratings. I guess now they'll just have to go back to counting box office returns for Transformers and making more comparisons between the young Megan Fox and the aging antiquity Angelina Jolie.

Of course they're giving the public exactly what it wants. So who is really to blame?
--Toronto

·
Registered
349 Posts
Totally apathetic myself. Wasn't fussed about his music and thought he was a plonker :)

Went out last night though, and every damn club we went in was having an MJ tribute night. Apparently it is too much to ask that we don't get MJ blasted at us all over the place. Radio, TV, paper, everywhere I look there's just MJ.

And as slightly sick as it is to say, with all the standard MJ weirdness when I heard about him dying my immediate thought was "PR coup for his gigs in London".

A few days on, a niggle in the back of my head is still saying "PR coup for his gigs in London".

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Yes, a very good post there, really well written, detailed and very thought provoking indeed........:thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Good post Scudetto.

I am now thinking about what happens next. We either have to endure days more of this MJ tedium or something REALLY bad has to happen to someone else.

It is very, very depressing, and says a lot about our society, that there is virtually no good news that could knock the MJ story off the top spot.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
T
What I have also noticed, is that the media have turned the story of his death, into a story about how the media broke the news of his death. I see, the messenger is now as important as the message. 'See how SKY broke the news';
Couldn't agree more......It is very creepy - the same thing is happening down here as well.
It's a feeding frenzy and it will end up in future advertising for the tv channels like it
happened with the attacks on New York. Who broke the news first, who secured the best
interviews - in one of our "newspapers" they have a (front page)story that goes like this-
Two aussies in LA: "We saw Michael dying" & a photo of the ambulance & of two aussies smiling etc.
And of course there will be plenty of other
vultures that will try to capitalise on this.So this is why i was saying in one thread that i
find these people-and the media- as creepy as MJ

he print media no longer has all the controlling powers to decided when to prop up
pop icons anymore. Look at the Liverpool Street Moonwalk Tribute held yesterday;
arranged via Twitter, and broadcast via YouTube...in less time than it took the editor
of the Telegraph to be briefed on who MJ was.
Yes but twitter has its own problems - The Iran demonstrations have been washed away in
digital narcissism(we support your cause so very much but right now we are talking about more important issues - like MJs death)

S

·
0 Posts
Perhaps we all watch too much television?
I don't, I've given it up.

But I had the misfortune to be in hospital on Friday and had to endure the TV coverage there. :mad:

And again yesterday while getting my hair done it was the salon's topic du jour. :rant:

It's not only on TV Gibbo - there really is no escape! Not even on here. :cry:

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Do you think this might knock Di off the front page of the Express finally?

S

·
0 Posts
Then, clearly, a lot of people feel affected by it :(
Or - to look at it another way - a lot of people haven't got anything better in their empty little lives and prefer to live vicariously through other people.

And that is the real tragedy.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts