Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2019
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if these are answered elsewhere (I did have a search but couldn't see anything).

Guilia QV.

About how far are people travelling once the fuel gauge turns red? It went red on me this morning with a range of 30 miles indicated, but having read a few things now, I'm a bit worried I won't make it the 3 miles to fill up! (having already done 4 miles in red).

Electronic handbrake. In my previous DSG Golf, when I stopped at lights/junction, the handbrake came on and I could take my foot off the brake (whilst still in gear) and the car didn't move. In the QV, if I want to take my foot off the brake (which I like to do for some reason) I have to manually apply the handbrake. Not a major issue, but I just wondered if that's how it works in an Alfa.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Don't know about Giulia, but I travelled up to 20 km in a Giulietta with a FLAT ZERO (not reserve, zero) and there was still 1.5 - 2 litres in the tank left. Wouldn't worry too much about this - manufacturers are rather too cautious about that than the other way round.

This is how it works. The only way to have auto hold is to use adaptive cruise control - then it keeps the car at standstill.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
692 Posts
It will make it. I went to sub 12 miles on remaining range meter a couple of times - that’s when it switches the range projection off and just shows a dash (probably good idea to reset trip meter at that point and not plan to have a cold start). It was dropping miles to that point accurately - but of course if you change driving style it affects it so you can stretch it much longer if needed. I would say fairly accurate digital gauge.
The graphic one is a mess - only really useful to see warning lights.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY20
1,232 Posts
Sorry if these are answered elsewhere (I did have a search but couldn't see anything).

Guilia QV.

About how far are people travelling once the fuel gauge turns red? It went red on me this morning with a range of 30 miles indicated, but having read a few things now, I'm a bit worried I won't make it the 3 miles to fill up! (having already done 4 miles in red).

Electronic handbrake. In my previous DSG Golf, when I stopped at lights/junction, the handbrake came on and I could take my foot off the brake (whilst still in gear) and the car didn't move. In the QV, if I want to take my foot off the brake (which I like to do for some reason) I have to manually apply the handbrake. Not a major issue, but I just wondered if that's how it works in an Alfa.
All being equal you've got about 4 litres when the red 1 bar comes on in my experience. I never let it get below orange myself but I'd shove it in A and drive sensibly and I'd expect 15 to 20 miles max on red based on my avg mpg of 20.

Re parking brake at a stop. I just engage Park and brake engages, foot off pedal. Then, foot on brake and right paddle to engage Drive when ready. Don't know of any other way with the Giulia.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The handbrake doesn't come on when you stop. You need to press P to engage the handbrake and put it in neutral.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2019
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The handbrake doesn't come on when you stop. You need to press P to engage the handbrake and put it in neutral.
That sounds like a better option than leaving in D and applying the handbrake, which means one is fighting against the other?

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,146 Posts
Guilia QV.

The gauge is very non-linear. I find I can do almost 100 miles from a brimmed tank before the gauge drops to 7 lit segments whilst dropping from 2 lit segments to one can be as little as 20 miles.

In 40,000 miles, I've been scared a few times when the gauge went red some distance from a filling station. Once or twice, I've managed to do 20 miles on red. The most I've every got into the tank is 56 litres suggesting I still had 5 or more litres left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What also works when you are coming to a standstill:

As you stop, press "P" to put the car into park mode. Your foot is still on the brake and then shift immediately into "D" (Drive) with the paddle shifter. If you take your foot off the brake, the car will remain at a standstill with parking brake engaged.

It remains so until you press the accelerator.

Shifting into "N" as some have suggested above isn't the safest even when the road looks level.

(I also have a related setting in the Infotainment to engage the parking mode/brake automatically when switching off the car - though I don't think it is related. You aren't switching off anything here ... )

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2019
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gauge is very non-linear. I find I can do almost 100 miles from a brimmed tank before the gauge drops to 7 lit segments whilst dropping from 2 lit segments to one can be as little as 20 miles.

In 40,000 miles, I've been scared a few times when the gauge went red some distance from a filling station. Once or twice, I've managed to do 20 miles on red. The most I've every got into the tank is 56 litres suggesting I still had 5 or more litres left.
I made it to the filling station! Indicated range was 18 miles and I got 53 litres in, so around 5 litres left which ties up with 18 miles range give or take. Based on this experience I wouldn't want to do very much more than 20 miles on red. I think I'll try and avoid going red to often!

·
Premium Member
8,180 Posts
i just leave it in Drive, stop at traffic lights, brake and manually engage parking brake. Then when light turns green, I just push accelerator and parking brake automatically releases

Attachments

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2019
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shall experiment to see which option works best for me... :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Then when light turns green, I just push accelerator and parking brake automatically releases
That is true, but I find in my Quadrifoglio there quite a jerk as the parking brake auto releases and I always release the parking brake manually.

Also in my Quadrifoglio, being stationary in D, either with foot on brake or parking brake on, there is quite a lot of drag in the torque converter and consequential losses. If I'm going to be stationary for any time, I always select N by lifting both paddles, sometimes doing so before I come to rest to avoid the jerk resulting from the creep function fighting the braking action.

I use the parking brake rather than putting the gearbox in P, as I've always considered that putting an auto gearbox in P should only be done when you are shutting down the car. Largely from a wear-and-tear point of view.

Reactions: myk70

·
Premium Member
8,180 Posts
That is true, but I find in my Quadrifoglio there quite a jerk as the parking brake auto releases and I always release the parking brake manually.

Also in my Quadrifoglio, being stationary in D, either with foot on brake or parking brake on, there is quite a lot of drag in the torque converter and consequential losses. If I'm going to be stationary for any time, I always select N by lifting both paddles, sometimes doing so before I come to rest to avoid the jerk resulting from the creep function fighting the braking action.

I use the parking brake rather than putting the gearbox in P, as I've always considered that putting an auto gearbox in P should only be done when you are shutting down the car. Largely from a wear-and-tear point of view.
Guess I'm lucky, mine is quite smooth, but I have the veloce AWD of course so not fully comparable.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Best way to use S&S and put to P when engine is off.

Wysłane z mojego Pixel 4a przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
692 Posts
Guess I'm lucky, mine is quite smooth, but I have the veloce AWD of course so not fully comparable.
I think non qv uses the brake pads for handbrake hence why it will be as smooth as using regular brakes.
Qv makes quite a racket and a jerk when handbrake releases whilst there is pull on the wheels. Think it also auto engages for hill starts, makes more passers by turn and look than the exhaust noise. It’s very smooth just releasing manually on flat before putting into D. Think it just doesn’t like when torque is going through wheels. OP, I’d not try to artificially do this - it really doesn’t sound that healthy.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2019
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I've realised the auto handbrake release is quite jerky, so manual release seems to be the way to go, selecting neutral if the stop is going to be more than brief.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Best way to use S&S and put to P when engine is off.
Best way to drive a Giulia is to have STOP/START permanently disabled.

Reactions: jwq and MultiDoc
1 - 20 of 26 Posts