Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC News - Colwyn Bay sisters' £161m VAT claim 'idiotic'

Things I have learned after reading this...............

#1 - look what "high living" can do for you?

#2 - QC's in the Welsh Crown Courts are as comically loquacious as you might have hoped.

For some reason (sleeplessness actually) I looked at an earlier article on this story, and gleaned the following snippets of journalistic gold.

• "A jury heard that the sisters, who claimed to be recruitment consultants, did not understand the form." :cheese:
  • The court was told the sisters thought it was vital to demonstrate the potential future turnover of their company. The younger sister estimated the turnover after looking at the amount Liverpool Football Club charged for advertising - £75,000 for three minutes. :cheese: That's exactly what I would have done too! :lol:
  • The court heard how the sisters had sought business mentoring from Richard Branson. He, in a letter, urged them: "Don't give up. You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it." :cheese:
  • Andrea Vaughan-Owen told the jury in evidence that she left school with an O-level in cookery. :lol:
  • She was ambitious but made no money from her business ideas. :lol:
  • "It's not in our nature to give up," she said, however. :cheese: Really....stop! :cheese:
  • She added :"It doesn't matter which barriers I face, I will try to overcome them." I suspect a modest set of stairs might do the trick. :p
  • She had been a post office worker until 2001 and last month married for the third time. :eek:

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
The BBC said:
The prosecution accepted that the "left had didn't know what the right hand was doing".
He said nobody stepped in and no-one said "stop, this is rubbish what you are talking".

It started a a £25,000-a-year tax credits fraud

"We suggest these people really did expected to get a vast sum of money," he added.
Nice to see that standards of reporting and grammar are alive & well in North Wales :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Good grief. That's possibly one of the worst written articles I've ever read - and on the BBC too :(

Those really are a fine pair of ladies. Makes me so proud of my home country :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Some of that reminds me of a character on Laura Solon's Talking and Not Talking on Radiio 4, where she's always trying to get backing a la Dragons' Den for some useless business idea or invention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts