Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I was driving along the motorway slowing down and I noticed what sounded like the exhaust rattling when foot off the throttle, this does happen when there are 4 people in the car as I guess its worked a tad loose.

Anyway I sit in the queue on the slip road, and notice some white smoke, thinking it was just coming out the back of the car in front I didn't pay much attention.

However car in front moved off and the smoke along with a burning rubber smell was coming from drivers side of engine bay. Not a lot of smoke mind.

I was only a few miles from home so kept on going, after I got moving the smell went along with the smoke, even when I was stuck in another queue.

Got home left it running on the drive but nothing further seen.

done a quick search on here and saw about aux pulley rubber going but that was with heavy steering, mine is fine.

Are there any rubber exhaust hangers at the front?

any other ideas?

It's a 2.0 JTDm btw.

Mark

·
Registered
114 Posts
The crank pulley is a three piece item. The sandwich later being rubber.

Well, it is on the 2.4 anyway.

What you describe certainly sounds like the crank pulley going.

I'd check it a bit closer if I were you, just to be sure.

When mine went I got the smell of burning rubber too (because the central section bored to the crank is rotating against the rubber).

And it's on the drivers side.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Check the aux and timing belts for signs of heat damage. A seizing pulley can cause the belt to slip and burn, or pulley bearing failing can make the belt run out of true and rub against the cam cover. None of these are good and could be advance warning of belt failure. Smoke or burning smells in this area = do not ignore.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, I had the car checked over today and also I looked at the crank pulley and all is good. Looks like I picked up a plastic bag or something on the exhaust and it melted !!

phew.

Reactions: Norph
1 - 6 of 6 Posts