Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story so far... I’ve had the Spider about 2 months now, the hood has gone from working most of the time to being intermittent and/or temperamental to refusing to open but closing fine. Then the cable from the motor to the passenger side clamshell lock broke. I replaced the cable today and drained the fluid and refilled it twice. The hood is better than before but not perfect.

If I try to lower the hood, nothing happens but if I manually lower the windows and use the switches behind the driver’s seat to release the bottom of the hood from the clamshell, it opens fine. On closing it works fine until it gets to the point where the where the bottom of the hood does up onto the clamshell. At this point it just stops but if I release the switch and then press it again the cycle continues to the end apart from the windows need raising manually.

It seems that everything is able to function properly but isn’t... any suggestions or has anyone had a similar fault?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could be the micro-switches in the mechanism playing up, but I'm afraid I cant help you much more than that! (I had problems with my hood recently, but after trying to sort it myself and failing I took it into Alfashop they got an auto-electrician to sort it out.He cleaned up the micro-switches apparently).

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I took the car to Alfashop for a new cambelt not long after I got it and asked about the hood. They basically said they weren’t keen on looking at hoods as they are so complicated and there are so many things that can go wrong that it is like asking the customer for a blank cheque which I thought was very honest of them.

I’m guessing but it will be something simple. It seems to me that the hood ECU is getting confused. It doesn’t think that it is fully closed and therefore doesn’t drop the windows and start the cycle. By using the emergency switch to release the rear of the hood from the locks puts it in the correct state for where it thinks it is and it carries on and completes the cycle. I can only assume something similar happens on closing. So microswitches would be a good place to start.

I had the car hooked up to MultiECUscan over the weekend to clear an airbag fault. While I had the laptop out I clicked on the ‘other’ option to select the ECU and it said hood ECU and to use the purple cable which I did but couldn’t connect. Has anybody got in to the hood ECU this way?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That might be my hood they are talking about then! They tried to sort it by turning the clamshell release motor cog. It worked for them a few times,it was ok for me once then it packed up again! I took it back and it was at that point they got an auto-electrician in.They didn't charge for the second visit as the first repair was under warranty so to speak, but I guess they don't want to get their fingers burnt again.
Hope you get it sorted anyway...

·
Registered
335 Posts
It does sound like one or more of the micro switches giving a false signal. Take a look at the hydraulic rams and check if any of the fixing nuts have become loose causing the clearance between arms becoming too large to actuate the microswitches on closing.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That might be my hood they are talking about then! They tried to sort it by turning the clamshell release motor cog. It worked for them a few times,it was ok for me once then it packed up again! I took it back and it was at that point they got an auto-electrician in.They didn't charge for the second visit as the first repair was under warranty so to speak, but I guess they don't want to get their fingers burnt again.
Hope you get it sorted anyway...
Yours isn’t a silver Spider on a 52 plate with a boot rack and phase 3 alloys is it? It was parked outside Alfashop when I had the cambelt done... made mine look a bit scruffy in comparison.

It does sound like one or more of the micro switches giving a false signal. Take a look at the hydraulic rams and check if any of the fixing nuts have become loose causing the clearance between arms becoming too large to actuate the microswitches on closing.
Thanks... I’ll have a look next time I’ve got my tools out and overalls on. I’m hoping it will be something simple like that but being an Alfa it is always difficult finding out what the simple fix is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yours isn’t a silver Spider on a 52 plate with a boot rack and phase 3 alloys is it? It was parked outside Alfashop when I had the cambelt done... made mine look a bit scruffy in comparison.

Thanks... I’ll have a look next time I’ve got my tools out and overalls on. I’m hoping it will be something simple like that but being an Alfa it is always difficult finding out what the simple fix is.
Yes that is my 52 plate Spider Nelly.They were sorting out the hood and investigating why its still drinking oil despite and engine rebuild last year that they carried out. I'm waiting for them to collect it again and they're going to check the pistons and put another rebuilt head on it to (hopefully) sort it!

Thanks for the compliment BTW!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is my 52 plate Spider Nelly.They were sorting out the hood and investigating why its still drinking oil despite and engine rebuild last year that they carried out. I'm waiting for them to collect it again and they're going to check the pistons and put another rebuilt head on it to (hopefully) sort it!

Thanks for the compliment BTW!
Small world...

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds similar to the intermittent problem I had with the hood on my spider.
I eventually traced the fault to the ball switch on the hood frame not always making contact with the frame.
I cured it by packing out the plate which operates on the switch as the hood is raised and lowered.

Maybe worth a look if you haven't already done so!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave... many thanks. Where exactly on the hood is the micro switch? I gave the Spider a quick wash today and lifted up the back of the hood to clean the clamshell and when I put it back down (using the switches behind the driver’s seat) it sounded like one was engaging ok and the motor was stopping, presumably because the ECU knew it was locked down that side but the motor was still going on the other side. Is there a micro switch in there somewhere?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Think there's a micro switch in each clamshell lock.... but not certain.
To see the ball switch you need to raise the back half of the roof and prop it up with something, the switch is on the frame, passenger side of the car.
On mine the switch itself was fine it was the plate not operating it fully, when you find the switch you should see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Dave, I’ll have a look tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts