Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably be a bit controversial....

I test drove a Q this morning with the full intention of buying one but was a little disappointed. The car is very competent and does everything you would want in normal driving - refined, quiet, comfortable etc. There is also no arguing that it is very fast, so all should be good.

However, I came away feeling that it lack the character and charisma that I would have expected from an Alfa. In normal driving I never got the feeling I was driving anything 'special'. When pressing on, the car was fast but seemed to gain speed with little drama or excitement which is probably due to the muted engine noise ( except for silly pops from the exhaust on gear changes ). I drove in all modes except Race and had it around to the red line a few times, so should have experienced everything it has to offer.

I've had a few Alfas over the years and really wanted to like the Giulia especially after reading all the rave reviews but I came away a bit underwhelmed and with the the cash still in my pocket.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here so I'll stand back and expect some spirited replies.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

I test drove a Q this morning with the full intention of buying one but was a little disappointed. The car is very competent and does everything you would want in normal driving - refined, quiet, comfortable etc. There is also no arguing that it is very fast, so all should be good.

However, I came away feeling that it lack the character and charisma that I would have expected from an Alfa. In normal driving I never got the feeling I was driving anything 'special'. When pressing on, the car was fast but seemed to gain speed with little drama or excitement which is probably due to the muted engine noise ( except for silly pops from the exhaust on gear changes ). I drove in all modes except Race and had it around to the red line a few times, so should have experienced everything it has to offer.

I've had a few Alfas over the years and really wanted to like the Giulia especially after reading all the rave reviews but I came away a bit underwhelmed and with the the cash still in my pocket.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here so I'll stand back and expect some spirited replies.
I kind of get where you are coming from but I think you need more time with the car.

I've had several 500bhp super saloons and the whole point of them is their duality - quiet, comfortable mile munching cruisers one minute and exciting 4 door race cars at the flick of a switch.

So it sounds like you did the first, but didn't get a chance to do the second. There is much on here about the full sound only being available in race mode and to get it, you have to turn off all the driver aids, but the race mode map really transforms the car and would probably give you the character you are after.

I cleaned mine this morning, then, as I am close to the end of the running in period and it was warm and dry, threw it around so twisty roads in race mode. The grip, sound, pace, body control, traction are excellent. Perhaps it doesn't have the character of the V8 lump in C63, but it also isn't as lardy and it doesn't ride on concrete dampers. I've just come out of an F10 M5 and I can tell you it is better than that. As for the M3/M4, they simply lack character in comparison (in my view at least).

I think you probably need to borrow one for longer and try all the driving modes. There really isn't anything like it for sale at the moment.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I don't think we're expecting everyone to fall in love with it. We're all different. If it doesn't float your boat then get something else. It's fine.
Maybe try again with Race mode as Hamfisti says though before making a decision.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I kind of get where you are coming from but I think you need more time with the car.

I've had several 500bhp super saloons and the whole point of them is their duality - quiet, comfortable mile munching cruisers one minute and exciting 4 door race cars at the flick of a switch.

So it sounds like you did the first, but didn't get a chance to do the second. There is much on here about the full sound only being available in race mode and to get it, you have to turn off all the driver aids, but the race mode map really transforms the car and would probably give you the character you are after.

I cleaned mine this morning, then, as I am close to the end of the running in period and it was warm and dry, threw it around so twisty roads in race mode. The grip, sound, pace, body control, traction are excellent. Perhaps it doesn't have the character of the V8 lump in C63, but it also isn't as lardy and it doesn't ride on concrete dampers. I've just come out of an F10 M5 and I can tell you it is better than that. As for the M3/M4, they simply lack character in comparison (in my view at least).

I think you probably need to borrow one for longer and try all the driving modes. There really isn't anything like it for sale at the moment.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Why did you need to "quote" the OP when your reply was the second post. :confused:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I was thinking more about Ian's post this afternoon. What is 'character' and do modern cars really still have it?

I'm sure we can all think of lots of cars from the past that you could apply this tag to and many would agree, but I wonder whether, I'm the pursuit of perfection, manufacturers are now over engineering 'character' out of cars. I personally think this is the case with M Division, AMG and RS, all of whose previous cars were generally more 'characterful' than the current ranges. And the Tesla Model S - a truly amazing piece of automotive engineering, but character??

Anyway, further to my more reasoned argument in my first post, here's a more emotive response.......

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear that.
Did you get a good trade-in offer on your GT?
I sold my GT a good few years back and the Q would have been to replace my daily driver which is an Audi A5. I think this is a great looking car, its only a 2.0 TDI ( planet killer ) so does the daily commute with ease but isn't hugely exciting to drive.

Most of my driving is just general commuting and A-B stuff so I don't really need 500 bhp to do this, but there is a big difference between need and want. I'm sure the Quadrifoglio would do 'normal' driving quite admirably but overall it lack this undefinable extra spark for me to justify having it for the odd occasion when you can give it full beans. I'm really disappointed as I so excited about getting one.

Just to be extra critical, I must say that I wasn't taken by the Competizione Red paint either, my Audi is Misano red which I think looks stunning and I would have had the Alfa in red without question. However seeing it in the flesh then for my taste its far too dark and looks much closer to maroon under anything but bright sunlight. The dealer also had a silver one in the showroom, I usually hate silver as it is a bit boring on most cars but the Q look really good in this colour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hamfisti - this is the first picture I've seen with yellow brakes, I was considering these but wasn't sure if they would be a bit too chavvy and whether red was a safer option. I have to say I think the Yellow is the winner.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I sold my GT a good few years back and the Q would have been to replace my daily driver which is an Audi A5. I think this is a great looking car, its only a 2.0 TDI ( planet killer ) so does the daily commute with ease but isn't hugely exciting to drive.

Most of my driving is just general commuting and A-B stuff so I don't really need 500 bhp to do this, but there is a big difference between need and want. I'm sure the Quadrifoglio would do 'normal' driving quite admirably but overall it lack this undefinable extra spark for me to justify having it for the odd occasion when you can give it full beans. I'm really disappointed as I so excited about getting one.

Just to be extra critical, I must say that I wasn't taken by the Competizione Red paint either, my Audi is Misano red which I think looks stunning and I would have had the Alfa in red without question. However seeing it in the flesh then for my taste its far too dark and looks much closer to maroon under anything but bright sunlight. The dealer also had a silver one in the showroom, I usually hate silver as it is a bit boring on most cars but the Q look really good in this colour.
I see you are in Northants.

Can I ask which dealer you went to, was it Motorvogue in Northampton ?

·
Registered
33,761 Posts
Very Modena. Reminds me of the Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari place. Next photo opportunity, a quick trip to Italy?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
@Ian.......There have been plenty of discussions on this and other forums about the colour of brake callipers, I nearly always vote for yellow, depending on car colour, but a lot of mainstream colours suit them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems like there is a cluster of Northants folks on here as I've also spotted Hamfisti is from Towcester - I'm just up the road from there in Eastcote.

I went to MotorRogue a couple of weeks ago and spent 20+ minutes in there trying to get someones attention and eventually had to walk out of the place. The test drive today was at Research Garage in Nuneaton.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Each to their own as posters have said. We all have our own requirements and expectations. We could ask a thousand questions about how the drive went, what you did, did you try doing this that or the other and I guess that is the point with a test drive. Its a single drive when you try to cram as much in as you can to get a feel for it, how it drives etc. See if you can get to a Milbrook session, that might offer something different.

Mine needs to poodle round town, get me to and from work and customer sites, and entertain - quite an ask, but it does do it. I can cruise at 70, then drop a gear or 2 and it takes off like a scolded cat. Its a chameleon.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I suspect the disappointment may be partly due to the exhaust not being loud enough. If it was louder it would feel more exciting but I'm guessing they can't make it too loud these days. I've seen a few people saying they thought it could do with being louder. Mind you, if it was louder it would probably do your head in after a while!
Personally I think it's fine and I'd rather not draw more attention than absolutely necessary.
Try a test drive in Race mode with the windows down!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I can understand how a car can be too capable somehow.
I have a 156 GTA, but I don't use it that much because if I want to test it to the limits I quickly run out of safe road speeds. The 156 V6 was more fun because you could welly it most of the time relatively safely.
For that reason I use the 166 which is comfortable and quick enough for motorways plus does the twisties with a bit more edgyness than the GTA.

I've just taken a backward step and bought a 1978 Kammtail Spider 2000...fun, cool and, with that extra earthy character that only pre-airbag/insulated/electronic gadget cars can offer.

Of course none of my cars are really suitable for a daily motorway commute...the 166 maybe if you don't mind putting petrol in it regularly and getting it fixed up every now and again as cars need when over 15 years and 150,000 miles!

Maybe a 2.0 Guilia Super may fit the bill for the OP....he can get it remapped to 280hp, which would be plenty for everyday life, and then hopefully still be able to work the engine and chassis a-plenty without driving dangerously...?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts