Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at this very pretty 156:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-/182173274689?hash=item2a6a5f9241:g:mzUAAOSwGYVXDLLg

It is a 2007 Selespeed.
Seing as how the exterior is the facelift, it was obviously produced after 2002/3.
It also has Selespeed (so is a two litre, and should be JTS) but it is a twinspark.

how come that has come to pass ?
Did Alfa just decide to say you know what, we need to get rid of these old Twinsparks and stuffed them into the 156s ?

Reactions: Jeff Le Chef

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Its probably one of the batch of cars that were on a ship going to Australia or Singapore, the boat caught fire and they wrote the whole consignment off, even those cars that were untouched, they were returned to the uk where they sat about for a few years untill it was decided what to do with them.
They were for sale as new on ebay from 2006 ish.

EDIT, Sorry, just looked at the ebay ad, I think the cars I was talking about above were phase 1 with facelift dash.
Unless its had a facelift front fitted.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
A number of RHD 156 destined for the far east/Australia wound up back in the UK owing to (Pick one)

A ship sinking and being salvaged
A ship catching fire
The import business going bust owing to a change in taxation laws

Whatever the reason there are some odd 156s out there with anachronistic levels of trim and engines.

All the best

Pub

Reactions: Jeff Le Chef

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Aus ship fire and Malaysia cars were pre-facelift.

But many markets outside of Europe kept the 2.0TS for the facelift and didn't get the 2.0JTS at all.
Australia never got the CF3 2.0TS and kept the CF2 TS until the JTS came along.

Different markets got different spec engines during the same period.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
£500 a year to tax that one...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
But many markets outside of Europe kept the 2.0TS for the facelift and didn't get the 2.0JTS at all.

In SA (also RHD), we NEVER received the 2.0 JTS. 2.0TS in full face-lift until the 156 was stopped. Only JTS we have are the GM based 1.9, 2.2 and 3.2 159 / Brera / Spider

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
In SA (also RHD), we NEVER received the 2.0 JTS. 2.0TS in full face-lift until the 156 was stopped. Only JTS we have are the GM based 1.9, 2.2 and 3.2 159 / Brera / Spider
Yep.
Are your 156 2.0TS all CF2 spec?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Aus ship fire and Malaysia cars were pre-facelift.

Its odd that only CF2 156's were sent to Australia but yet we had CF3 GTV's. Italians......:jester:

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Its odd that only CF2 156's were sent to Australia but yet we had CF3 GTV's. Italians......:jester:
It wasn't the Italians.
I was told it was a decision by the Aus importers as taking the CF3 would have meant re-certifying the car or something like that.

The CF2 does have the lowest CO2 emissions of CF2/CF3/JTS though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It wasn't the Italians.
I was told it was a decision by the Aus importers as taking the CF3 would have meant re-certifying the car or something like that.

The CF2 does have the lowest CO2 emissions of CF2/CF3/JTS though.
Ah yes you're right. I forgot that Alfa's only started being FCA delivered in Australia again back in 2012.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
From the 2.0TS CF3 vs CF2 platform I cannot say 100%. But I can say the GTV went from 2.0 in 2000 to 3.0 V6 and then 3.2 V6 in 2005. Very little overlap. So categorical no cf3 2.0 gtvs

·
Registered
749 Posts
I owned of the facelifted 57 2.0 TS Seles. Got mine from Veloces. No idea where it came from - I was told it was a returned/unwanted Malaysia shipment. There was a bloke with the same spec car as me driving around locally at the time - his car has just come up for sale. I'm quite fancying buying it!

The car on the ebay link is exactly the same spec - no sideskirts, leather interior, sele paddles not buttons and 17" multispoke wheels. Here's a link to the car local to me:

http://www.alphayapps.co.uk/cars-for-sale.cfm?id=14387

1 - 14 of 14 Posts