Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My time has finally come!!!
Since i first set eyes on the 156 back in 1998 i have wanted one and now is the time...
I am looking for a '98 -'00, 1.8 or 2.0 version. I will more than likely be buying it private so and i know reliability is a big issue with these cars (I don't care if its probably going to leave me stranded at the side of the road someday... It'll be worth it to own such a nice car!!!). I would be grateful for any advice any of you could give me regarding these cars and things to look out for when buying. I know there are some rough ones out there.

Thanks in advance

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to AO dude..

things to ensure:-

full service history
cambelt and tensioner change every 36k or 3 years, whichever is sooner AN ABSOLUTE MUST !!
both sets of keys, they are expensive to get cut and programmed
good quality oil has been used
if a twinny (TS) check the level of the oil, they can use a wee bit and is a weekly check

happy Alfa hunting

all the best

:)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO and good luck with your search :)

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Hi CP, welcome to AO. :)

As Mike has already said; check cambelts, oil level and service history.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hi, just to let you know i bought my 156 2ltr several months ago and asked the same question,
all i can say is get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will love it,puts a smile on my face every day, and i have found you dont need the radio on , the engine has a lovely rasping sort of sound??? (well my engine sounds like its having a orgasam as its going up the gears)strange but true
whoops sorry
being serious all car have their issues,
but at least with alfas you have this great group of people and the tech forum is the best i have seen on many a site 10/10 very helpful!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to you all for your kind welcome and for the information received. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice it is very helpful. I have heard of a few belts going so i will make sure and take your advice. Cheers..

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I'd also think about going for a 2.0 rather than 1.8 - there is not too much difference in power but the 2.0 already is low in torque so the 1.8 must be even worse.

I think the 2.0 also comes with bigger front brakes, Climate control etc which some of the 1.8 dont have - make sure you check before buying.

And at that age I'd avoid Selespeeds - if something goes wrong with the Selespeed system it may cost you more to fix than the value of the car.

Oh yes and dont forget cambelt and oil level !!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts