Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any good reasons why I should buy a 156 instead of a 146?

I'm not really concerned about the improved interior of the 156. The 146 would cost about 500 quid less than a 156. This 500 quid I could spend on exhaust, suspension or camshafts.

What I really want to know, is there any major chassis improvements in the 156 over 146?

The 146 im interested in is here:
Ireland Autotrader*-*cars..

Any help is very much appreciated I'm going to get my first Alfa real soon.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
The 156 is a much better car.

It is built better handles better, is more refined. And it looks better IMO.

The 146 does give a better seat of the pants feel on a twisty road, so is slightly more involving but the ride will shake your teeth out compared to the 156 (which is pretty firm in itself)

Straight line performance is pretty similar as you would expect for 2 litre TS versions.

The 156 uses double wishbone front suspension, and macpherson strut rear suspension. The 146 uses struts up front and trailing arms at the back, so the chassis is a lot less sophisticated. However there are more bushes to fail on the 156.

I have had 3 of each BTW. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have also had both (currently selling my 146)
Depends on where you're gonna be driving it?

If all you're doing is driving around the M50 and in/out of Dublin, the 156 is a much better ride, comfortable, and if you get AC much better to live with in this damp/humid country of ours ;)

If your out in the sticks and drive country roads, then the 146 is so much more fun. IMHO it handles much better than the 156 in every way.

One other thing - 1.8l TS drinks petrol - had 1 in the 156 rarely saw 33mpg, even on long trips to Dublin.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
The other thing I felt with my 146 (and 145's) is that you could really feel the speed that you were doing around the corners.

The 156 does the same, if not higher speeds around the twisties, but it doesn't give the impression of speed as much.

The best thing to do would be to drive both, and see how you find them. I love them both, although I prefer the 145 to the 146. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be honest mate, the 146 you are looking at is a tad overpriced in the current market. I picked up a beauty with only 70k on it in really good nic, with the color coded bumpers and it was only €1500. Id advise you to just hang in there because its not as if the 146 sections on carzone, auto trader , buy and sell or anything really are uypdated everyday. but once every couple of weeks a beauty comes along.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does seem overpriced alright but its probably been sitting there for long enough that the dealer would accept an offer.

Some useful advice there re suspension differences. Looks like I my be able to push to a 2L. Ill be driving in the west mainly. So lots of twisty roads, poor surfaces, etc.

Does the 146 with colour coded bumpers have any other differences to a standard 146?
I ask because colour coding of bumpers and minor body work I can do myself.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Can't believe you're considering a 146 over a 156.

The 156 is the much better car in every department you wish to mention. The 146 may be a little more 'involving' but that's merely because you are constantly reminded of the transient nature of life and all its apparant dangers, in comparison to the much safer 156.

Honestly, if you are seriously going for a 146 then your only consideration must be money.:rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Can't believe you're considering a 146 over a 156.

Honestly, if you are seriously going for a 146 then your only consideration must be money.:rolleyes:
Not so. :tut:

I sold a 147 to go back to a 145 and, I don't particulalry like the 146 (except maybe the Ti) but I'd prefer one to a 156 - especially the arlier variants.

As Simon mentioned earlier - the 156's suspension can be a nightmare (and expensive).

A

·
0 Posts
Its a matter of personal taste sometimes. I wouldn't have a 156 in place of my 146 whether or not it is a better car, plain fact is I love the 146. If finances come into the equation as well, the 146 wins hands down in my book. I will admit that the 146 looks very dated now while the 156 still looks like a modern Alfa.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Money is tight, any money saved on a purchase can go on performance parts.
I intend this to be a project car. If I bought a 146 I wouldn't have any problem rippin out the old interior or doing whatever I like with it.
The 156 on the other hand seems a bit too "soft".

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
I intend this to be a project car. If I bought a 146 I wouldn't have any problem rippin out the old interior or doing whatever I like with it.
Did the 156 you drove have a sportpack/veloce pack? They certainly arn't soft.

I would say my 156 TS with sportpack handled much better than my 146Ti. You could carry a lot more speed around the bends and with far less body roll..

·
Registered
284 Posts

I bought a 146Ti recently for the purposes of being a project car, yes it is involving to drive but I live on the Isle of Man where there happens to be no M-ways it's all twisties here.......:D :D I to intend to upgrade the suspension, bushes & many other things to make it better than it is, mine cost me very little so I'm quids in anyway......:D (there was no major headaches with the car other than a broken back screen from a little scrote.....:rant:) I to like the 156 but it's a bigger car & not as involving as a 146 on the back roads of the IOM so IMHO I would recommend buying one................:thumbs:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I bought a red 1.8L 156. Ive fallen for it already. No one tried to overtake me on the 100 miles home, which is a very different experience from driving a 1L starlet.

D

·
0 Posts
I think the 146 aint that bad on standard suspension. But having driven a lot of 156's I think a 146 is the option all the time. For no apparent reason.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 156 I just bought has a great suspension, lots of feedback and good road holding. There was no slip or uncertainty on the way home and I drove on some very twisty, bumpy and potholed roads.

D

·
0 Posts
Only noticed that you bought it now didnt read the whole thread. Yes they are good. But the 146 rolls but hangs on in their.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts