Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I nearly have my Mistress back .... yesterday she was getting some new (and refurbed) parts fitted..... (thank you Auto Lusso, responded promptly to my queries - parts shipped and being fitted)

GTV subframe etc being fitted.jpg

so soon she will look like this again :)
GTV2012_640X225.jpg

New boots are to be fitted today once the front wishbones are done, replacement brake cables are done, new timing belt and timing belt cover, cam cover gasket replaced, ..... ok you get the idea - she wasn't terribly well loved for the last few years.

Coming from a sailing/motorboat background, every trip I would check the engine mechanicals (Oil, leaks, corrosion, etc.), the scuppers, the seacocks, etc. - the AA/tow truck out there come in a big Orange boat and I never wanted to call on them for something that can be avoided, so the question is:

What would be considered preventative Maintenace for a 13 (soon to be 14) year old GTV TS? (I did see the post on how to prepare you locks for the winter - silicone spray purchased)

Checking for rust (where)
Keeping an eye on suspension/bushes
Checking the Oil regularly
replacing the rear window wiring to prevent going on fire.
Checking all the Hose clips to make sure they're in good nick
Keeping an eye on the timing belt cover and the state of the "other" belt.
Over to you all.

Thanking you Neighbours

NF

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Underbody - application of rust inhibitor and a couple of coats of undersealer, following a clean up. :thumbs:

Hand brake cable also tend to fray out - worth checking and replacing, if they are on there way out and any water ingress getting frozzed, then your brakes will be stuck on.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,558 Posts
Get the car on a ramp and check the entire underbody. Get rid of any rust, provided its not rotten right through the floorpan, treat it and underseal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the car on a ramp and check the entire underbody. Get rid of any rust, provided its not rotten right through the floorpan, treat it and underseal.
Hi Gaz,

from the picture above you can see that I have been underneath and, apart from a few spots of rust here and there, the major parts that need doing are around the front wishbone mount and the Radiator bottom panel.

What underseal is recommended? I've heard "Waxoyl" (have I got that right?) being mentioned. I've seen hammerite also being mentioned.......

This weekend if I have the time I hope to replace the radiator as it looks slightly the worse for wear so I will attack the radiator panel, when I have it off the car.

I hope to have her up on a friendly ramp over christmas to do the wishbone area and any other spots.

thanks

NF

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
I did a GTV and a 155 recently, spent 2 days under each, on the GTV the worst areas were the floorpan nearest the sills and the rear of the car and as you mentioned the brace under the rad, i used a drill with a flexi extension and various wire brushes, hand held wire brush, scrapers....everything loose was removed then rust treated, hammerited then undersealed, my 1st ever GTV went from one small hole in the floorpan to 12 and had to be scrapped.

as an aside i spent many happy times going in and out of Cork harbours, Ballycotton, Kinsale, Castletownbere with our 'big orange boat' on the way back to station at Inis Mor..:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts