Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be a bit of a noob question this one :lol:

Maxxis do these - Tyre Details | Maxxis Tyres - in a 96w to fit the TI 19"s

My question is, ignoring the possible insurance problem. As i never go over 85mph on the motorway, never mind get up to 168mph, these would technically be ok to use yes? correct load rating!?!

I had some Maxxis tires on the Passat and they were pretty good apart from being a bit noisy (which i put down to the tread pattern) So thought I'd see how much these are if they are suitable.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A 96 load rating is 710kg, or 1420kg per axle. The maximum permissible load for the 1.9 JDTm is 1200kg over the front axle, 1100 kg over the rear axle, and 2055 combined, so it should be fine for load rating.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool Matt cheers. I figured they would be fine for the load rating. I just wondered if dropping one speed index was going to cause any problems, but as they would only be operated at around half their Vmax then I guess they would be totally fine.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
My winter tyres are v rated, and regarded as perfectly safe unless you are doing seriously licence losing speeds :)
For Winter tyres you can legally drop down to an "H" rating on a 159.
Dropping below the spec'd speed rating of summer tyres potentially puts you on shaky ground even though you may never reach that speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A 96 load rating is 710kg, or 1420kg per axle. The maximum permissible load for the 1.9 JDTm is 1200kg over the front axle, 1100 kg over the rear axle, and 2055 combined, so it should be fine for load rating.

I'm pretty sure that the load rating needs to allow for the additional loads applied when cornering, not just axle loads. Hence, you should go with the ratings in your handbook.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know much about the ratings but I'd go with the suggested rating in the handbook. We know what insurance companies are like when it comes to dodging claims. So going with the wrong tyre rating just gives them an easy excuse to screw you over.

What's the price difference? I'm guessing this is what it's coming down to?

If I ever manage to get a 159 Ti, I'd be more inclined to get part worns (say 6mm tread) decent Pirelli's or Conti's at the correct rating rather than go for budgets or lower rated tyres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts