Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
I think my search for a new car is over - I've fallen for the Mito, after seeing one (Etna black - stunning) parked up and thinking "wow, what's that?". I was all ready to replace my ageing Mazda 323 with a Fiat Punto T-Jet, and my first car was a Punto, so it'd be nice to come back to Italian class again. But the Mito's really turned my head.

My two questions at the moment - perhaps some of you can comment:

1) 95bhp or 120bhp turbo? I don't need the power of the 155bhp. The 95bhp would be a little quicker than my current car. The 120bhp is tempting but I'd like the six-gears, which isn't an option on that thought. Is the 95 good enough?

2) Donalds of Peterborough or Desira of Bury St Edmunds? I live near Cambridge, which no longer has an Alfa dealer, so those are my two nearest. Any experiences of either? (I guess I can try both for the best deal...) I don't mind going further for good service - I currently go to Letchworth for the Mazda as I'm not keen on the Cambridge guys.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bought the 120 and I don't notice any difference from the 155bhp when I test drove it. The 120 is damn fast and plenty for overtaking, and you may want that extra power to escape from being rammed by a lorry on the slip road of a motorway..

The 120 is only 0.8 seconds slower than the 155 in a race to 60mph, so that shows how similar they are. The 95 however, is a whole 2 seconds slower than the 120, and almost 3 seconds slower than the 155... That is a big difference.

Plus if you like the enjoyment of driving, the 120 has a turbo boost guage on the dashboar computer which is fun to look at.

If economy is what you want and you do a mileage of above 15k a year, I would recommend looking at the 1.6 diesel because it offers similar performance to the 120 and uses much less fuel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Sam ans welcome :)
1) I went for the 120 for the extra grunt but only because my finances allowed. 95 is a nice motor still on a par with most of the competition.
5 speed box suits me fine, why do you feel the need for 6?
2) Dunno which is best but deffo go to both, see who you get on with and whether they will cut you a deal

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I must add that the turbocharged engines sound amazing.. I haven't heard the 95s engine but the sound from the 120 petrol is soo satisfying, it feels like you're driving a sports car

·
Registered
74 Posts
i chose the 95 :)

although the 0-60 time is 2-3secs slower than the turbo's, this is only of benefit if you want a drag race. The 95 has more than enough power for over-taking and getting out of sticky situations :)

-pup-

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Wronskian and welcome to the forum :) I have the 120TB which IMHO is the best compromise of cost, fuel efficiency and performance. The figures for the 120TB fuel economy are not far off the 95NA, it is 4 insurance groups less than the 155TB and as already pointed out, whilst slower there is indeed very little in it; I don't know but I would suspect the 120TB would run out of puff a little earlier than the 155TB.

Having said that though I have heard nothing but good comments from the 95NA owners, you have to draw a line somewhere, if as you say the 95NA is a step up performance wise from where you are at the moment it is unlikely to disappoint as regardless of engine you are still getting a MiTo! I'm curious as to why you, or anyone for that matter would actively want 6 gears? My 120TB purrs along on the motorway at 80MPH at 3250RPM in it's top gear 5th, could a 6 speed 95NA and 155TB owner post their revs at 80MPH for comparison? Obviously in their top gear of 6th.

It's a great car and I am really enjoying mine so for my part whatever you decide you will love it :)

once again, welcome to the forum,
J.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 95 has got as much punch as a half a shandy - a momentary buzz that wears off in about 2 minutes. :lol:

Got to go for the 120. :thumbs:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated. I think you've swayed me towards the 120bhp. The insurance groups are interesting : 4 for the 95, 5 for the 120, 10 for the 155. My current car's a group 7, yet only gives 90bhp itself...

I'll get on the phone to the dealers and see who's nice to me. Do you reckon I can get an extended test drive (i.e. a whole day or an overnight) or will I have to have a salesman alongside me at all times?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Im sure if you can pick a quiet day (ie during the week) you should be able to get a half day or so. Our dealers let us out for a couple fo hours without an onboard salesman no problem. We tested all 3 petrols and decided on the 120 for all the reasons allready stated. the 95 was fine but the 120 was soooo much better. 155 was fun but not much difference from the 120 IMHO and didnt fancy paying the extra £1200 that it was when we bought.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wronskian, Drop in and have a word with one of our sales team who will be able to sort you out :)

Plus AO members get 10% parts discount :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts