Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to 5 filling stations in Jhb this morning all are out of 95, will it be safe to fill with 93 on 1750 QV,
Owners manual says strickly 95 Octane . Will any damage be caused?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If you have no choice just ad a R100 until you can get 95 and do not drive her to hard until then.
But the electronics should keep her safe.

P

·
0 Posts
Part of the G's delay to SA was due to our [email protected] fuel and them having to change a few parameters on the ECU to accommodate our fuel.. 95 is actually the lowest octane the Alfa should run on... So I wont be surprised if she goes into "limp home" mode if you throw in 93.

I was told by the FIAT guys a test mule with the software of a UK Giulietta went into limp home mode a few times in SA on 95 fuel so I wont advise you putting in any 93 into your car..

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Octane booster normally contains some hazardous stuff... hazardous to your CAT mostly

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yes but we have to take what we can get and the non turbo cars are happy with 93.
On the turbo motors it is a bit of a risk but the manufacturers (apart from Subaru) compensate for the occasional 93 use.

Still a good idea not to abuse a turbo motor while running on 93

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
the car really dont like 93.. more so when its non standard. Whilst i get that octain boosters are not ideal when having a cat, there is gonna be a shortage of 95 for a while. One bottle of NF of liqui moly wont hurt the car too much i dont think

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Gonna have to tell my wife that too, or she must drive the tractor till I am back in the country...... she will not know where to get Octane booster, or what to do with it...... Mito 114 Kw will have the same issue with 93 :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All sounds ominoius , problem is I am on reserve and cannot ride around aimlessly looking for 95, will have to put in R100 and get home.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
i know people who throw 93 permanently in a 335 twin turbo, so i think it will be fine in your car, thats what the knock sensors are there for

·
Registered
310 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that 93 can even exist in 21st century. In UK 95 is standard, 98 for 'large' engines.

Maybe better off putting low sulphur diesel in it rather than 90.6 labelled as '93'.
:lol:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The GTi map is set for 95 only, when i travel to the NC i take 3 bottles pf NF with me.

Just add NF street will do nothing to the car

·
Registered
976 Posts
I must admit that a few months ago I could not get 95 so filled up with 93 no real problem but starting and idle was not perfect have never used 93 again, we are in AFRICA chaps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts