Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 916 TwinSpark Spider
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned my 97 Spider 916 for about a month and noticed occasionally it has problems starting. The battery is new and it turns over but won’t start.. after several attempts it does eventually start.. any idea what might be happening? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve - do you mean the key code light? Yes I would say all the dash board lights come in while it’s trying to start but then when I stop trying the light goes off. I’ve read about the immobilizer, I only have 1 key, the red key. Is there an adjust I need to make?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Steve - do you mean the key code light? Yes I would say all the dash board lights come in while it’s trying to start but then when I stop trying the light goes off. I’ve read about the immobilizer, I only have 1 key, the red key. Is there an adjust I need to make?
Yes it's the key code light I am refering to. this needs to go out before the engine will fire, if it stays illuminated the car wont start, this usually indicates a problem with the aerialring which is a ring around the ignition barrel, sometimes giving this a wiggle sorts you out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve - that helps a lot.. the key barrel does seem loose, I’m hoping this is a common issue and most mechanics can resolve it.. (so I don’t need to wiggle the key?). I appreciate it!

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
258 Posts
Thanks Steve - that helps a lot.. the key barrel does seem loose, I’m hoping this is a common issue and most mechanics can resolve it.. (so I don’t need to wiggle the key?). I appreciate it!
Just to prepare you, 'most' mechanics in Canada don't have a clue about mid nineties Alfas. Ask me how I know. :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to prepare you, 'most' mechanics in Canada don't have a clue about mid nineties Alfas. Ask me how I know. :unsure:
I hope you haven’t had a bad experience! I plan to use Gentry Lane and / or Pinarello Motors in Toronto.. although my regular mechanic says he can tackle minor things. We’ll see! I’d love to connect with Toronto area owners of 916s

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
258 Posts
I hope you haven’t had a bad experience! I plan to use Gentry Lane and / or Pinarello Motors in Toronto.. although my regular mechanic says he can tackle minor things. We’ll see! I’d love to connect with Toronto area owners of 916s
Pinarello know what they are doing with older Alfas. They'll at least have an idea of where to start. Mine came from Gentry Lane, they are fine with general mechanicals but they didn't want to touch the electrical issues at point of sale.

I think there is one more monthly Italian car night in Toronto. It is a parking lot meet (stand around, drink coffee, talk cars, drool over desirable automobiles) on the first Thursday of the month starting around 7pm at La Paloma near Hwy400 & Weston Road. I have seen one other GTV and one Spider but many other awesome Alfas amongst others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much, yes I’ve read things about that Italian car meet, I’ll look into further and maybe make my way there! Thanks for the mechanic advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts