Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the rear wheel (wheel not tyre) rubbing on the rear trailing arm (spring pan) under 'spirited' cornering? Its worn quite a ridge on the inner rim of the wheel!:shocked:

My understanding is that the outer training arm bushes are rose jointed, so shouldn't 'give' at all under cornering, and they look ok, although I haven't had the car up on the lift yet! Wheels and tyres are standard, as are the shocks/springs (not lowered). Not sure how old the shocks are, as we haven't had the car long.

I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, but the rear suspension looks very complicated, and I have read lots on here about passive rear steer etc.!!

Any advice appreciated

TVM

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Are the wheels definitely 916 ones and not from 156/147/GT. I needed spacers when I fitted 147 wheels. The springpan s rubbed just like yours without them.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I had this. Wheels on mine were from a 147 I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Originals wheels for the spider are ET30 and wheels from a 156 are ET41 so if used they will be 11mm closer to the center of the car ie. closer to spring pan arm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the wheels definitely 916 ones and not from 156/147/GT. I needed spacers when I fitted 147 wheels. The springpan s rubbed just like yours without them.
Wheels are the originals! Rubbing only occurs when cornering relatively hard.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You get an almighty knocking noise if you have the 'old style' balance weights that clip to the inner edge of the rim. Most weights are adhered onto the inner wall these days, but it proves how close the inner rim of the alloy gets to the spring pan. Yours obviously touches (as mine did once).

You'll have to get the back end of the car up & give it a good once over. There are 14 bushes there, saggy springs and old shocks won't help either. Good luck...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to get the car up on a lift at work to have a good butchers..All the bushes looked good and no movement with a pry bar. The trailing arm is a fully rose-jointed V6 version - must have been swapped in the past. Springs and shocks also ok.

Looking at both sides, the gap between the wheel rim and traikling arm is only about 10mm at best, and when the suspension is compressed it gets even smaller. I'm convinced that under full compression it will touch.

This leaves me wondering if the wheels are indeed the original ones (as suggested by Sparkdanny!)

More research needed!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Post a pic of the wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, problem sorted. The wheels fitted were (as suggested earlier in this thread) off a 147 and had a different offset - to the tune of 11mm!

Original wheels fitted and problem has gone away.

Now bought some 10mm spacers in case I want to put the 147 wheels back on (not sure which ones I prefer.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, owners forums are far more informative than official manufacturers sites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts