Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, can anyone tell me if I can convert my electric roof to a manual one on my 2000 spider, and if so how do I do it?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hello, can anyone tell me if I can convert my electric roof to a manual one on my 2000 spider, and if so how do I do it?
You can operate the roof manually using the two switches behind drivers seat. There may be a square plastic cover One switch works the roof screws, lift up the roof and the other switch releases the clam shell. You can then fold the roof into the compartment. Then lock the clam shell. And the opposite to put roof back up.

If the clam shell motor is not working then the above won't work!!

I suppose you could remove the hydraulic rams from the roof if you wanted. But I cannot see the point

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can operate the roof manually using the two switches behind drivers seat. There may be a square plastic cover One switch works the roof screws, lift up the roof and the other switch releases the clam shell. You can then fold the roof into the compartment. Then lock the clam shell. And the opposite to put roof back up.

I suppose you could remove the hydraulic rams from the roof if you wanted. But I cannot see the point

Rich
Hello, thanks for the reply - you seem to confirm that an electric roof CANNOT be used manually. I have tried to pull the roof back myself but it is totally rigid. I really am at a loss to decide what to do next. Once again thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with Rich.

I now consider my roof a manual one as it only works automatically about one in ten times.
Well I can't shift the thing any which way, so my spider is not a convertible. thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well I can't shift the thing any which way, so my spider is not a convertible. thanks for your interest.
If I remember correctly you have to wait a while after stopping the engine for the hydraulic pressure to go down enough to move it manually

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

Rich
Hello, thanks for the reply - you seem to confirm that an electric roof CANNOT be used manually. I have tried to pull the roof back myself but it is totally rigid. I really am at a loss to decide what to do next. Once again thanks.
I suppose you are right, you do need to operate the pins and unlock the clam shell electrically as I described. The clam shell can be undone by manually rotating the electric motor using the spanner in the tool kit, but the roof pins holding the back of the hood against the clam shell need to be undone electrically using the button behind the seat

Can you do this?

You seem to be describing not being able to fold the hood? On the 5 electric hood spiders I've owned, this was easy, start at the front and rotate the hood and the keep pushing back the hood and if will naturally fold back into the stowage space. It's always harder with the ignition on, when the hydraulics are pressurised. The pump should depressurise after 5 mins (I think) of no activity or ignition switched off

Maybe your hood won't move or work using the switch on the console between the seats because of an obstruction of some sort???

·
Registered
650 Posts
All hydraulic roofs are able to be operated manually. Use the two switches behind the driver's seat to unlock the roof and clamshell and then switch off the ignition. This way the hydraulic pressure is removed and you can then fold or on fold the roof easily. If you cannot move the roof at all, something has broken or bent. Happy hunting because our Spider roofs are pretty complicated bits of bridge engineering!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All hydraulic roofs are able to be operated manually. Use the two switches behind the driver's seat to unlock the roof and clamshell and then switch off the ignition. This way the hydraulic pressure is removed and you can then fold or on fold the roof easily. If you cannot move the roof at all, something has broken or bent. Happy hunting because our Spider roofs are pretty complicated bits of bridge engineering!
Thank you all for your help - I will try again when the hydraulics are reduced.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
All hydraulic roofs are able to be operated manually. Use the two switches behind the driver's seat to unlock the roof and clamshell and then switch off the ignition.
Sorry to be pedantic. But yours (and my) description is only really semi automatic. Need electricity to release the roof and clam shell!!! Even the Manual roof requires operation of the switches !!!

Having had the clam shell motor fail a few times on various spiders over the years, I keep meaning to invent a 'manual' method to release it. Even with a spanner the nut can rotate without the bar!!!

Although it seems the op's problem is in folding the roof, not the electric releases

Rich ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts