Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Not sure Unixnut, arguable the best Busso version was the 3.0 12v QV, and fitted to the SZ produced a car which could easily feature on any number of best ever/top 10 lists (of all cars, not just Alfa's). Does it still feature in the Guinness Book of records for the highest skidpan number for production cars? Even worse, not many years ago you could get a good one for less than the cost of fitting a busso into the back of a GTV, but now they're rather pricier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have to say, I am with you with this one. The best Busso engines were never RWD, and Alfa teased me with the Diva concept, which was a mid-engined 3.2L Busso. I would have bought the Diva had it gone into production, but they gave me the 4C instead, which I did not find inspiring.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Like you I have been considering a RWD conversion for a 916. I unfortunately don't have the garage space to undertake the project atm, but I have done some research. Have you considered making it mid engined?

This thread goes on about a guy who built a twin-engined GTV by crafting a busso + transmission in the rear section of the car. My plan was to do the same, but not keep an engine in the front, making the car effecitvely mid-engine RWD.

Not sure if you have considered and discounted this option, but to me it seems simpler to shift the engine + transaxle + subframe as a unit to the rear, than try to modify the body to keep the engine in the front and RWD.

Either way, best of luck!
I have indeed considered the rear mid engine option. But my feelings are that it would just not be a GTV anymore. The GTV is a front engine car. The car would feel so different that I might as well buy another car, if what I want is a mid engine car. Also, it would not be simpler than the AWD option and I think if you wanted to do it really well done, so it looks factory and drives factory, by the time you are finished you could have bought a Ferrari 348 or 355.

If you look deeply into the Bimotore car, the 916 with two engines, you will see it has nothing factory about it. It's unfinished. It just drives. I wouldn't want a car like that. I want it to be as if the factory had done it.

I have looked deeply into this by now. I'm conviced that the only way to have power sent to the rear wheels with a 916, while still making sense is with an AWD version. But if you really have to have RWD then moving the engine to the rear is the only other way. The engine in the front will never be RWD. But like I said, then you might as well buy a Ferrari already. ;)

·
Registered
PH1 spider 3.0L12v, GT 3.2
4 Posts
I have indeed considered the rear mid engine option. But my feelings are that it would just not be a GTV anymore. The GTV is a front engine car. The car would feel so different that I might as well buy another car, if what I want is a mid engine car. Also, it would not be simpler than the AWD option and I think if you wanted to do it really well done, so it looks factory and drives factory, by the time you are finished you could have bought a Ferrari 348 or 355.

If you look deeply into the Bimotore car, the 916 with two engines, you will see it has nothing factory about it. It's unfinished. It just drives. I wouldn't want a car like that. I want it to be as if the factory had done it.

I have looked deeply into this by now. I'm conviced that the only way to have power sent to the rear wheels with a 916, while still making sense is with an AWD version. But if you really have to have RWD then moving the engine to the rear is the only other way. The engine in the front will never be RWD. But like I said, then you might as well buy a Ferrari already. ;)
I have to agree. It depends on how skilled you are in fabrication, and how much you can do yourself. For me, I would not trust my welding on something as important as chassis modification, so the cost of getting the work done by professionals + all the extras needed, would probably cost about as much as a 348 in labour, but be much harder to insure and register in certain countries due to the extensive work you need to do (in the UK it is not too bad due to the SVA, but the rest of the world varies from "easy" to "pretty much impossible").

It is one of the reasons I didn't progress much with the project, once I started putting all the bits together and costings.

The best way I could think of was to buy one of the stratos kit-car chassis (Which is effectively a mid-engined busso car), modify it so that the wheelbase is the same as the 916, and graft the body across. A level of work I didn't feel I had the facilities or skillset for..

Not that I have any issues whatsoever with an AWD 916, and I wish you all the best with your project. I look forward to seeing the progress :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts