Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just bought a 2003 Phase 3 GTV, and having got it off the trailer into the garage, I have discovered the car is completely dead (it was supposed to have a battery but the battery is brand new and fully charged). When the key is inserted and turned there is no response from the car, no interior lights, no window drop when the doors are opened or closed, no hazards even! Does anyone have any ideas, and is there a main 150 amp 'megafuse'? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Some fused circuits are powered directly from the battery so ought to be powering those even if maxi fuse G405 (80A) is defective. G405 is located in a branch off fusebox G56.
Note G405 is clear or neutral in colour and is located in the boot and has a black base, it will be behind the lining material at the top. Diagrams show it in the near-side wing but look in the offside too.
Have a look to see if the earth cable is clean and securely connected as well, I'd suggest before trying to find G405. Also be aware that electrical circuitry can, and possibly will, vary from what the workshop manual indicates!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have checked the 80 amp, which was good, but surely I would have hazards even if that was gone? I will check the battery volts, and the earth cable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would suggest that you check the condition of the positive cables attached to the battery terminal for high resistance and other issues. Also I believe there are joints in the positive cables at the right hand side of the battery.
(I am assuming the electrical layout is the same as a phase 1 here)
This does require removing the upper closing panel at the top of the boot.Also check for voltage being present at various fuses with a multimeter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say joints in the positive cables, do you mean on the terminal itself, or under the black sheathing? I have removed the carpet at the top of the boot

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
As I said in post #2 you should have some devices working even if the 80A fuse has blown. Therefore there is a fault as krisp describes in post #4 so you need a multimeter or test lamp to bridge between positive cabling and a good earth to see if there's a good potential difference, you can start by doing it from the positive clamp, not the battery terminal, and the negative, then to an earth, there are some good ones near to the battery. That will give you some idea initially.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant thankyou, will try when I get home. It looks like the loom has been messed with before, as there is fibreglass tape and zip ties all over the place, so I will also unwrap, check and do those back up properly. The fuse box had been replaced and soldered in the past, but since then the heater fuse socket has completely melted so I will be after a phase 3 fuse box at some point.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It may help to remove the back seat and sound insulation to get to the wiring from in the car.

The photos is from when I stripped my car for re-painting. Access and vision to work out what is wrong can be difficult with the parcel shelf and rear seat in place. I just see T shaped wiring and looking at wiring diagrams I see a lot of joints.
As I said earlier good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am a muppet and the battery is completely dead, 0.1V which is interesting. I will report back when I have a new one but thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have discovered that once battery goes totally flat they usually won't hold charge very well at all. This is a pain especially if car garages for a while. I ought a trickle charger from Halford for £25 and I keep that on the battery when car parked up. It's saved me tow batteries so far. ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have discovered that once battery goes totally flat they usually won't hold charge very well at all. This is a pain especially if car garages for a while. I ought a trickle charger from Halford for £25 and I keep that on the battery when car parked up. It's saved me tow batteries so far. ?
I believe the car sat for around 12 months before I picked it up, so definitely battery cooked job. Will pick up a new one and verify it all turns on before sorting a supposed engine knock!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts