Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was just at the point of the spider being perfect, full exhaust replaced, roof replaced, serviced, brakes done etc etc etc when I decided that the best thing to do would be race a BMW M3... I know, I know LOL and all that.

Anyway, I'm keeping pace on the Glasgow express-way when we hit a bend in the wet and you can guess what happened next...yes the back end stepped out and unfortunately at a pace where it was almost un-correctable. Long story short (and a chalk-white face later) I got her back in line, not without smacking the back passenger side wheel off the kerb...gutted!

Wheel is buckled and in a right state and now the back suspension is sitting at about 5 degrees off.

I know of a garage that will (hopefully) sort the back suspension but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere in Glasgow that is good at re-finishing wheels?

The 2.0 twin certainly punches above it weight but I'm concerned about the handling for obvious reasons...this isn't the first time the back-end has let me down. Anyone got a recommendation on tyres? Also, should I consider the vile GTV spoiler?

A de-motivated spider owner...:cry:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Gutted mate, thing about the 916 is it does have a natural tendency to oversteer.

Will most likely need a new subframe as I can't see an aluminium frame take that without breaking somewhere.

Better shocks would be a good choice too, koni or bilstein.

What tyres do you use currently?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some jap non-sense, nothing branded...it was the last thing on my mind when I bout it back in dec because there were loads of things to get done, but knowing the way I drive this need to take priority. Don't know much about the damage I've done to the sub frame...any guestimates on how much I've just cost myself? Also, tyres wise I've always swore by Dunlop sports but wondered if there is anything else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll have a look at them all.

I'm ashamed to admit this has really dented my confidence with the car, I've never PROPERLY lost control of a car at that speed before and If I'm being honest I find it very twitchy and un-forgiving in the bends...something I never thought I'd say about my first Alfa...

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I use Kumho Ecsta KU31 on mine - totally recommended for grip, noise and wear compromise.

Not sure on a wheel refinisher there, try the Scotland lounge. Our best one here is in Carlisle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think once its fixed I'll take it to a track and get to know it...prob my best bet given I was looking at the post about the (lack-of) anti-roll protection on the damn thing!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use Kumho Ecsta KU31 on mine - totally recommended for grip, noise and wear compromise.

Not sure on a wheel refinisher there, try the Scotland lounge. Our best one here is in Carlisle.
Don't mind sending it if he can do the job well...any (rough) ideas on cost?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Don't mind sending it if he can do the job well...any (rough) ideas on cost?
No sorry, I'm refurbishing mine myself :) I don't even know the guy's name. There was someone in Dumfries doing them in Huntingdon Road, but again I don't have details. Pretty useless really :lol:

There must be refurbers in Glasgow.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

+1 :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thanks, I'll have a look at them all.

I'm ashamed to admit this has really dented my confidence with the car, I've never PROPERLY lost control of a car at that speed before and If I'm being honest I find it very twitchy and un-forgiving in the bends...something I never thought I'd say about my first Alfa...
It shouldn't feel twitchy, the biggest improvement I made to mine was to dump the 17" wheels and go back to 16", it felt a lot more planted and stopped the tramlining that really ruined my first impressions of the car, more comfortable too, admittedly the 17" wheels looked better but imo they spoil the car dynamically.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Non branded summer tyres in cold wet winter conditions, what did you you expect to happen?! It's can't be much more than 0 deg up there, even good sumner tyres have naff all grip below about 8 deg.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It shouldn't feel twitchy, the biggest improvement I made to mine was to dump the 17" wheels and go back to 16", it felt a lot more planted and stopped the tramlining that really ruined my first impressions of the car, more comfortable too, admittedly the 17" wheels looked better but imo they spoil the car dynamically.
I've got the 16"...its grip,grip,grip, slide and then as soon as you try and correct because of the weight in the nose the front gets a bit of slide on the go...I suppose i'm just going to have to get used to it...I really dislike the facts its not progressive and more shocking. I'm just wondering if it's my car or if this is a common complaint? I've no other alfa experience to compare it to...:confused:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts