Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping someone here might be able to help me out.
I have a 97 916 Spider 2.0 TS (Phase 1 CF1) with a gearbox problem. I was cruising down the motorway the other day, dropped from 5th to 4th to pass a truck and went back into 5th only to find...well nothing! Came off the clutch and got absolutely nothing other than revving the engine as if in neutral. It continued and finished the rest of journey perfectly in all other gears but fifth is now a distant memory. Some preliminary diagnostics indicate the following:

- From a standstill position, selecting 5th gear and releasing the clutch produces a high pitched "whine"
- From a standstill position, in neutral and with the clutch released there it a slight grind
- When driving all gears work fine (no noises) except the elusive 5th

I figure I´m probably looking at a gearbox rebuild/ replace (oh s%&t, big €€€€s!). Can anyone offer any advice on this? Also if I´m looking for a replacement gearbox I know I need one from a 1.8/2.0 TS...but are there any changes across the models (147/156 etc etc) that I should be aware of?

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
147/156 has a cable gear change not rods like 916. Few on eBay about £100 but no guarantee they are good. Search on here for a thread about missing 5 th gear I'm sure I've seen one about cleaning out the gearbox endcasing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
147/156 has a cable gear change not rods like 916. Few on eBay about £100 but no guarantee they are good. Search on here for a thread about missing 5 th gear I'm sure I've seen one about cleaning out the gearbox endcasing.
Do you not need a 145/155/ph1 gtv box for a phase 1 gtv due to the speedo being from the box and not abs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So quick update....I got under there last weeks and pulled off the rear casing to give things a clean and have a look. Other than the oil absolutely stinking of sulphur there was nothing ill to report really, no swarf lying about or anything. I poked about but was very dubious to be doing too much. I put it back together and the crunchiness continues.
So I´m now the proud owner of a replacement Gearbox, new cluch and CV boot (I saw one was on its way out while under the car). She goes in on Weds to get it all fitted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts