Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 734 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Some time ago I decided to upgrade my turbo. I had quite clear vision of the choice - GTB2056VK from current 210HP 159s and Breras.

I spent few weeks by searching some reliable local supplier capable to deliver 159's GTB2056VK turbo and another week and half waiting for the delivery. Then at the day D, I opened the shipment and spotted shiny new 200HP 159s BorgWarner/3K BV50 turbo. I gave my supplier call and as no other supplier was capable to deliver GTB2056VK and the currrent one gave me quite pretty discount for his mistake, I decided to keep it and give a try.

So here it is. Externally is this BW/3K turbo completely the same as Garrett's GTB2056VK. So you can use this guide for GTB upgrade as well.

From the pictures it's quite clear that adopting will require a lot of work, at least due to complete different compressor housing.

Starting with exhaust manifold flange

Porting exhaust manifold is the easier part. Although the stock turbo has rectangular flange with oval hole and BW squared with circular hole, the flange width is the same, so it's only about to make the screw holes slotted. Few hours of filling (both turbo and manifold screw holes) ...

... and turbo perfectly fits the exhaust manifold

will be continued ...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Notice also the cuts at exhaust manifold between cylinder ports.

Compressor inlet

BW compressor inlet has to be cut down. It points to the wrong direction and collides with clutch housing. Just keep the same distance from manifold flange center to compressor inlet edge. Shorten the air hose a bit ...

... and use heavy duty silicon coupler (57mm dia) with clamps to connect it all together.

It fits perfectly ...

Compressor outlet

Compressor housing is fully reclockable, but it seems there are only two ways where to point it. Directly down, near the exhaust pipe or simply towards to the front

... but there is not enough space in front of the turbo (in addition there is no flange on the inlet yet). So it has to point down.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turbine outlet

Easy parts are already done, let's continue with the tough ones. After I had attached the downpipe to bottom engine strap, I noticed that the turbine outlet centre is now ~10mm below the downpipe flange centre, 23mm far away to the front and 13mm to the left.

Don't worry, the solution is as easy as prolonging decat pipe, extending the bottom engine strap and fitting custom machined downpipe adaptor.

(prolonged pipe and also some other stuff - exhaust sealings, compressor inlet flange and turbine V-band clamps)

Modifying oil lines

Pay attention to modify the oil lines properly. Life of your turbo really depends on it. I used burner to heat the oil feed and slowly bent it as needed (be careful to not squeeze it) Repeat whole process until you are 100% satisfied with the result. Even if it means to attach/detach turbo five times. And don't forget to tighten the manifold bolts during the testing. 2mm gap at lower manifold bolt can make 5mm gap at oil feed line.

Oil drain pipe is another story. Because the BW turbo is shifted to the left and CHRA oil drain hole is lower a bit, the stock pipe is too short. I used 20mm dia steel tube to extend it. Keep on mind to make the drain line downstream as possible. You don't want to let the oil rise back to the CHRA and fry the shaft.

·
Banned
537 Posts
nice one mate, keep it going.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
From what I can see on the pictures, you have problem with the oil pipe....read carefuly the instructions and you will see what I am talking about :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
From what I can see on the pictures, you have problem with the oil pipe....read carefuly the instructions and you will see what I am talking about :)
You probably mean the oil drain pipe, right? ;-) It's L-shaped currently and as I have checked the oil flow there, it wouldn't be a problem I suppose.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now I would put here the picture of final assembly and finish the guide.

But not yet. The fun just starts. Every real tuna need a cool LEDs (gives +10HP as well as speed stripes). So let's drill the holes ...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Scared enough?? ;-)) Don't worry, I didn't get crazy. Just a little commercial ...

And little theory. More than one third of the energy got from fuel combustion is transformed into heat. In general it's not usefull. It's a side product, a waste. But the worst thing we can do, is let the heat to dissipate in the engine bay. So let's squeeze the max from this wasted energy and keep it in exhaust pipe as much as possible. More heat means higher velocity of exhaust gases. Both heat and gas velocity can help us to speed up a turbo a bit and lower backpressure in exhaust. And Yes, both have possitive effect to the engine power ;-) So let's insulate!

(decat pipe is bandaged as well)

Final assembly

·
Registered
833 Posts
Great and educational manual... Thank you, yan.ko, for the prolongation of life of JTD 8v!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
But, we are still not at the end. With power comes also the responsibility.

We have just upgraded turbo to get some HP more, but now the engine produces more heat at peak than before. We need to cool it. Here is the list of following mods I have made with short description (sorry have no pictures of all these mods):

Disabling EGR cooler

As I have already disabled EGR in the ECU, I no longer need to cool down the exhaust gases (and warm up the engine coolant) in EGR cooler, so I have blanked EGR pipe at exhaust manifold. The drawback of blanking is longer engine warm up time. But this issue could be solved with set of three(?) heater plugs and thermostat in coolant circuit, switched on when coolant temperature is below 70-75°C and fuel heater plugs switched off. Just need to find a place and do some calculation (if it doesn't ruin battery and so.)

Upgrading oil cooler to SMIC + oil thermostat

I've decided to put there oil thermostat and air SMIC from the later models instead of that small oil cooler. It's easy plug'n play mod. Modding coolant circuit is done by removing the shorter oil cooler hose and cutting and reversing the upper one. Fits like the factory one (no sharp bends anywhere).

Upgrading steering oil cooler

This mod is kind a must, as in the place of stock steering oil cooler (coil) already sits the oil SMIC. So I have put GT style steering oil cooler in front of the FMIC. Easy mod, just 2x ~25cm of oil hoses (12/20mm dia) needed.

Radiator almost on the place (a small horn mod needed)

Downpipe adater and OEM oil radiator console. Has to be mounted between right engine mount and body

previous coolant lines (green)

(removed bottom hose and remain of the upper one)

(tape is temporary of course ;-))

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great and educational manual... Thank you, yan.ko, for the prolongation of life of JTD 8v!
Thanks Dusan. I like 8V JTDs for it's reliability, simple design and quite a low cost. I'd like to further upgrade VE efficiency.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Thanks Dusan. I like 8V JTDs for it's reliability, simple design and quite a low cost. I'd like to further upgrade VE efficiency.
If you're thinking about enlarging the intake manifold, I have one spare manifold for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok ... they wrote , that q2 will fit for the 8v getrag .... anyone tried ???
Try consult to the quiafe catalog .... diffs are difrent for the alfa 16v and Stilo 8v ....
Am i wrong ... ??

Sorry for my poor language and hello ... this is my first post ...
Welcome ;-) There are another threads explaining Q2 diff in detail (like http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/102181-q2-will-fit-to.html). As far as I remember Q2 capable 8V are only 85kW and later ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok i see ... i have 2003 stilo 115 ps ...so i think i must change a gearbox to fit it .... i.m looking forward to see your results .... for about 60 000 km i have gtb2056 vk with some other modes ...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Wow! What mods have you done? I'm waiting for better weather to continue with power testings. So at least I'm going to work on buterfly flap removal and intake upgrade during Christmas.

1 - 20 of 734 Posts