Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased an '88 Graduate . Car ran great on inspection, on way home 2 days later and it stalled and wont re-start. I added fuel to the tank. Still no start. It sat for 2 days in drive way. I tried today, heard the fuel pump ,started and ran for about 30 seconds and stalled.Now all I hear when I turn key is the solenoid click and no fuel pump sound. I also cleaned several grounding points, it has new battery. The engine cranks/turns well but does not fire.Any suggestions ???

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'd first suggest you eliminate a no spark condition (engine cranking doesn't necessarily mean it is sparking, as you know)....ie. check you have spark: so one can concentrate on fuel and other things.

If there is a no-spark, then make sure the battery has adequate voltage 'whilst cranking' the starter.
L-jetronic requires 10.5V-10.8V min. whilst cranking, for the computor to wake up.

If you indeed have spark.....
then next check would be the fuel/drive relay (that is the big bosch relay) under the rear parcel shelf, and it's associated in-line 8A bullet fuse and holder (the holder causes lots of problems, many spider owners have got rid of the bullet fuse holder and replaced it with a modern spade fuse holder: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...in-fuel-pump-fuse-replacement.html#post822688)

You could bypass the relay (jump it) and see if the pumps run...herein described:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1069165-post5.html

remember you have 2 fuel pumps one in the tank (puller), one under the car(main)....both need to work for it to drive well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd first suggest you eliminate a no spark condition (engine cranking doesn't necessarily mean it is sparking, as you know)....ie. check you have spark: so one can concentrate on fuel and other things.

If there is a no-spark, then make sure the battery has adequate voltage 'whilst cranking' the starter.
L-jetronic requires 10.5V-10.8V min. whilst cranking, for the computor to wake up.

If you indeed have spark.....
then next check would be the fuel/drive relay (that is the big bosch relay) under the rear parcel shelf, and it's associated in-line 8A bullet fuse and holder (the holder causes lots of problems, many spider owners have got rid of the bullet fuse holder and replaced it with a modern spade fuse holder: Main fuel pump fuse replacement? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums)

You could bypass the relay (jump it) and see if the pumps run...herein described:
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Testing fuel pump relay

remember you have 2 fuel pumps one in the tank (puller), one under the car(main)....both need to work for it to drive well.
Hello, thanks for your reply. I'll remove and replace that tomorrow. I'm hoping that is it, before I delve into the more complicated remedies, the car ran great then stopped. Ill charge the battery and clean the battery ground cable at the body , it is rusty/coroded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, thanks for your reply. I'll remove and replace that tomorrow. I'm hoping that is it, before I delve into the more complicated remedies, the car ran great then stopped. Ill charge the battery and clean the battery ground cable at the body , it is rusty/coroded.
The Bosch relay does click when turning the key on/off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts