Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have come across a bit of an odd situation. I am in the process of changing the front left wheel bearing, as the bearing has been kackered for so long ...previous owner....its chewed out the hub flange, I have received a new flange from a supplier however it's not the same, the main difference is the size of the axle, mine seems to be larger. Soooo the question is, how many different axles came out on the 1.5litre sprint (mine is an 86) ?

Cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
1700 sprints and 33s used larger driveshafts.
Sprints of your age were based on 33's so had same drive shafts etc. Plenty of good second hand drive shafts with hub carrier around. But I assume you have a hydraulic press to get bearings in and out so there are also reasonable sources or new hubs out there. I have seen them on ebay etc. Alfa sud parts website etc.

If not my self an others on this forum have second hand shafts with hub carrier on. Just a note the late haynes manual for sud has an extra chapter for late sprints. Also my self and others can email you a 33 workshop manual. Just shout if I can help. As I have found this forum invaluble in looking after my sons 33.
John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I got in touch with the last owner and it sounds like a new engine went into the chassis ...when I say new I mean reconditioned, I think the new engineer might be out of a 33 or 1700 cc ...I'm trying to get my hands on a 33 flange and see if that fits ...ill let you know how I get on cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So looking at the drive shaft it would appear to be a 33 shaft, 28 teeth vs 24 teeth.....were these drive shafts interchangeable? I'm starting to wonder if I have A 1.7 litre hiding in the car ...not a 1.5

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Remember that the 33 and late sprint share mechanicals. A 1500 33 uses the same driveshaft/hub/brakes as a 1500 sprint. And a 1700 33 uses the same driveshaft/hub/brakes as a 1700 sprint.

The driveshafts are interchangeable, so long as you use the matching hub as well.

If you can read the engine number off the block, the first 5 digits tell you the capacity. 301.46 is a 105 hp 1490cc, for example.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, iv been looking for the engine number but cant see anything, I found a 1324 on the block at the back by cylinder 4 ...but I think that is the firing order haha..I cant seem to see the 87 near cylinder 3. Where is the block detail hiding ?

PS nothing by the oil dipstick either

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
301.46 is the most likely original engine type fitted to your 86 sprint 1.5, depending on where in the world you are because some markets with weird emission standards did get odd versions. 1324 on the block is indeed the firing order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts