Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I need new rear disks. Mine are warped and will fail the MOT and are also preventing me from getting a good handbrake.

I notice that "early" cars seem to have 10mm bolt holes and "late" cars have 8mm brake holes.

When did Alfa change and what size hole disks do I need?

My thoughts are that the 8mm only applies to the LSD on the later saloon but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello all. I need new rear disks. Mine are warped and will fail the MOT and are also preventing me from getting a good handbrake.

I notice that "early" cars seem to have 10mm bolt holes and "late" cars have 8mm brake holes.

When did Alfa change and what size hole disks do I need?

My thoughts are that the 8mm only applies to the LSD on the later saloon but I might be wrong.
I think the change came about in the late 70s. Early cars had four bolts that held the disc in place, big flat headed M10 things and the driveshaft went through the hole big hole in the middle and was held on by six M8 allen bolts. The discs look like this

Later cars went over to using the same six holes that the driveshaft bolts used so the driveshaft bolts through the disc and into the diff. A much more sensible solution. Discs look like this-

I remember fitting a gearbox from a 1978 116 Giulietta in my 1978 Alfetta GTV and had to swap the driveshafts over too because of this, the Giulietta had the later method of attachment and the Alfetta had the earlier one.

They did the same thing with the front brakes on the Alfasud at about the same time.

Otherwise, take a bolt out and measure it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts