Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had always intended to re-build the engine on my 1.8 Giulietta this winter, but in the end, a better option came along. After 90,000 miles it was leaking badly from both crank seals, was showing poor oil pressure and had under sized valve shims due to valve recession into the seats.
Had budgeted £2000 - £2500 for parts and engineering work, then spotted a brand new, un-run, 1.8 twincam on Ebay! The engine had been bought at least 25 years ago to be fitted into a series 1 75 (the last use of the 1.8) but the job never happened.
Starting bid was £299 and no one else bid, so a week later it was mine. Another £165 got it freighted from London to CP Garage Services in Dundee. Must say a huge thanks to Euan for giving me full use of the garage for a week.
Changed the crank oil seals as a precaution before starting the change out. Taking the old engine out was mostly a pretty easy task, except for undoing the bell housing bolts and getting the prop shaft back far enough.
The starter ring gear on the old flywheel was shot but fortunately, Euan managed to conjure up a new one from a dusty shelf. The old one was drilled and split off and the new one shrunk on.
Before fitting the new engine, I fitted the new engine mounts and checked the a few other things. As expected, the Giulietta inlet manifold doesn’t fit the 75 engine. I had acquired a 75 manifold, which is quite different, which meant I lost my throttle bell crank mounting holes. This required a bracket to be fabricated and bolted behind the carb mounts.
New engine fitted fine and everything was connected up fairly quickly. Cranked it over with no plugs until saw good oil pressure, and then fired it up. Started pretty well but immediately knew something wasn’t right. A really distinct valve clearance rattle. Took the cam cover of and discovered No. 3 inlet clearance was 1.2 mm (should be 0.4 – 0.45). I guess 25 years ago Luigi measured the gap but went the wrong way with the shim. Didn’t even re-check it! Didn’t have an appropriate shim so had to wait a week to get one the right size. Once changed, started again and it was running perfectly.
Thanks again to Euan, Don, Lindsay and Andy for all the help.

Attachments

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,369 Posts
Good job there David, a bargain too !

PS. I did PM the guy regarding Speedo Sensors but have heard nothing since. :confused:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Lucky you, a very attractive price. OBK or some other German company sold/sells exchange Alfa Nord engines for about € 2000 some years ago.
Very wise of you to renew oil seals at both end of the crank and turn the engine over to see oil presure before firering up - it what I do every spring when stating the engine first time after the winter lai up.
Erik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts