Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a first ?????
My variator wasn't working properly. Recently noticed that the car sometimes goes better than ever, but most of the time it's what I would consider "normal".
So for no reason, I decided to dismantle the variator magnetic actuator. What I found was that the little spring inside was very weak and wasn't pushing the piston thing back up properly. If I pushed the piston down with my finger it kinda stuck a little bit and the spring made a rattling sound.
I pulled the insides out of an actuator I have for a 75 TS to compare and then put these parts into the 155 one.
The car is so much smoother at less than 3000rpm now. I always thought the variator effected the higher revs ??? Or was the thing sticking so high revs were OK and the lower revs were effected ???
Anyway, along with that and fixing my blowing exhaust I'm happy till the next thing breaks.

Marlon

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You're a very practicle lad , have a 75 variator push in the 155 1.8 and the thing works fine.

Should remember this when mine breaks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a tricky job Marlon? i have a similar problem of rough running below 3K so if its not such a hard job i may give it a go myself. do you need any special tools?

Cheers

Stef.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's super easy. All you need is a screwdriver and a paper clip straitened with a little hook at the end.
The actuator is held in place by two Allen Bolts so is not hard to remove although I did this without removing it. It's situated at the back of #1 cylinder. Has two wires connected to it and coverered by a black rubber boot.

Disconnect the wires.

Undo the 2 screws.

Pull the top (plastic) bit off. The spade terminals stay with the main bit and are not part of the lid.

You will see a metal "piston" that you can remove by pulling it out. If you push it down it should spring back up again smoothly and easily.

Take the piston out. Underneath is a little "piston" wrapped in a spring (this is where the little hook you made earlier is used). Fish the spring bit out.

That's it !!!

Basically drop the new bits in. The small piston spring assembly will drop into place as the bottom of the variator is tapered so directs it into it's hole (ooer misses !!!). Put the lid back on and reconnect the wires. I noticed that before I "fixed" it, if I disconnected the wires and drove the car, the car was great until 3000rpm then really lacked power. Haven't tried it since so don't know if that's anything to go by.

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Marlon, i'll give it a try and let you know how i get on.

Slippy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts