Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a question for you...
Is the exhaust for the 8 valve (Cat back) one piece ???
Got a couple of quotes today:
Motor Factors : £102 (2 pieces)
Kwik Fit for a laugh: £238 (2 pieces)
National Tyres: £129 (1 piece !!!)

The guy at national said his book showed a one piece system for the 8 valves and a two piece system for the 16v's.
I ask 'cos I've only ever seen the 8 valve exhausts listed as two pieces and I wanna make sure I'm getting the correct thing.

Got fed up of the loud exhaust note and have decided I prefer the OE muffled fizz that I used to have.

Thanks, Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Fletch.
Must depend on the manufacturer. Phoned Alfashop and they have it listed as two parts aswell.
It's on order anyway so I'll soon be able to remove the ear plugs.

Marlon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Marlon,
Just Replaced the middle section on my 1.8 8v last night. The rear silencer is separate. I used a Bosal Replacement part no. 282-155 and the back box is part no. 100-157. The Mid section cost me €108 in the local motors, and I notice the difference all ready. In saying that in replaced the rear silencer only in June of 2001, Bosal 100-157,and shook a shovel full of stuff out of it this time, before I clamped it back on. I think I will try to get a S/S rear box the next. Does any know if the internals are S/S as well as the body.

Regards,
Dermot

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the same when searching for a 16v exhaust, some listed 2-piece and others one. The origonal is obviously one piece.

wrinx

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dermot, someone told me once that even a stainless steel box has mild steel internals. I can't remember the reasoning behind this - it was something to do with expansion rates, or resonance frequencies or chemical reactions with exhaust gases and stainless..... :confused:

Ian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dermot, that's what happened to my last rear box, the actual baffle tube was rattling around inside.
Got a universal box on as a cheap replacement, but it was fitted by a garage so don't know if I had the one or two piece setup on the car.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the ones that show a two piece are actually repair sections....walker exhausts do them as a two piece.. :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,
I'm pretty sure now that all will be fine....if the garage remembered to order the thing !!!

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the zorst fitted. What a difference, just a nice little fizz from 3500rpm and a little burble lower down.
Bugger getting an aftermarket thing again, my car is noisy enough !!!

Marlon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts