Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit new rear discs and pads to my recently acquired 75 3.0 V6, and I'm having trouble with the adjusters.

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to wind the pistons away from the disc far enough to get the new pads to fit in the caliper, there seems to be a 'stop' on each adjuster which isn't giving me enough room (by about 5mm or so) to put the new pads in.

The adjusters are working, as I can wind the pistons in and out, just not by enough, the pistons stop :(

The disc is the same thickness as the item which was fitted, and the new pads have approximately 8-9mm of material, compared to the 4mm on the pads which have come off.

I'm doing all this with the handbrake off, which I presume is right?

I've followed the instructions in the Alfa service manual and all the advice I've found on the various forums, but to no avail :(

Any ideas or suggestions - I'm completely and utterly stuck now (3 hours spent today getting nowhere) so I will take any and all help :) :) :)

Thanks very much :D

Martin

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a similar problem untill I backed off the handbrake cable at the calliper by releasing the lock nuts so neither of the opperating arms were not under tension. Someone had previously adjusted the handbrake by shortening the cable and therefore limiting the opperating arm travel, rather than re setting the pad clearance by adjusting the pistons.
Hope that makes sense to you. If you are still having problems you could open the bleed screws when you back off the pistons. But make sure you wear eye protection. I once got brake fluid in my eye and learnt to be carefull the hard way.
Martin

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Good advice, don't adjust the handbrake with the cable.

The problems you are having are hopefully quite simple. It sounds like after releasing the 17mm locknut for the outer pistons, the whole mechanism is moving in, rather than the piston out. Try a prybar with moderate force on it whilst moving the piston adjuster into the caliper housing. It should move with a sudden jerk. Use the prybar for the inner pistons also. Beware that you turn the adjusters for the inner pistons the right way (different for each caliper).

You should get away without having to change the calipers. BTW, it may be useful to crack open a bleed screw just to make sure the rear hose has not collapsed. Hope you have a pressure bleeding kit though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help - managed to get the left hand caliper off and pushed back fine - it needs new dust seals so I'm glad I took it off now :)

The right hand caliper is being more difficult, not helped by the rear silencer being in the way which refuses to come apart from the mid-pipe!

Still, I'm making progress :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hope its going well,me and my boy tried to do rears ended up getting 2 new one's as we screwed to far back:rolleyes: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts