Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I broke my gear lever linkage the one between the gear lever and the gearbox. Does anyone have one for sale or knows where i can find one, i m located in Malta.

The car is a 1986 75 1.8. The gearbox was changed several times due to breaking it. I bought it with a 2nd hand gearbox just installed and broke it and the engine within 3 months :( than i broke the gearbox and the likage before 6 months of ownership. the local parts dealer said that i must have something wrong but i have receipts for the prop shaft dounuts they werent 2 months old. and apart from the watts linkage bushes there are no other bushes totally worn out . Could the watts linkage effect that much or is something else wrong.....??????

Any tips and directions would be really appreciated as the car has been sitting idle for 2 or 3 years as i can t find the linkage and am considering breaking (would be a pitty as i just painted the car)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

I broke my gear lever linkage the one between the gear lever and the gearbox. Does anyone have one for sale or knows where i can find one, i m located in Malta.

The car is a 1986 75 1.8. The gearbox was changed several times due to breaking it. I bought it with a 2nd hand gearbox just installed and broke it and the engine within 3 months :( than i broke the gearbox and the likage before 6 months of ownership. the local parts dealer said that i must have something wrong but i have receipts for the prop shaft dounuts they werent 2 months old. and apart from the watts linkage bushes there are no other bushes totally worn out . Could the watts linkage effect that much or is something else wrong.....??????

Any tips and directions would be really appreciated as the car has been sitting idle for 2 or 3 years as i can t find the linkage and am considering breaking (would be a pitty as i just painted the car)
for gear linkage try ebay uk .. there's some 75s braking so it's worth to ask
gearbox could brake if someone didn't know what he was doing but still don't know what are you menainig by it broke,what happened?
propshaft shakes if it's not centered perfectly and the car while ideling shakes
watts linkage doesn't have much impact on the gearbox as it's job is handling of the car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd gear and 3rd gear don t work properly they don t know the exact word for it but the lever vibrates and make an awful noise like when you try tup put it on reverse whilst moving forwards and downshiftin from 4th to 3rd is hard but from 3rd to 2nd almost impossible and if you manage the car fells like lifting from the rear. when we opened them up we found 1st 2nd and 3rd gear + their synchros worn.

one of the gearboxes was broken during 1/4 mile along with the engine. that was a total disaster as i managed to wreck even the gearbox case. and the engine blew the gasket (overheating) and cracked the head so i got a new engine and gearbox.

but 1 of the gearboxes i broke and the one the preivious owner broke where both broken by normal road use well some rough acceleration but nothing major.

my suspect is on the slave cylinder as it has no dust cover...... could it be that the slave is not pushing as far as it s supposed to?? but if that s the problem won t it affect all gears? reverse did crunch a little on all boxes even when stopped and the worst problem was always with 2nd

the car dosen t shake on idle it only shakes when i push hard the throttle and it s not exactly a shake it sort of gives the car a push to the side think it s a worn mount

as for the parts i ve been looking at ebay but each time i find a car that s being broken the seller dosen t reply or says he dosen t ship to malta :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
2nd gear and 3rd gear don t work properly they don t know the exact word for it but the lever vibrates and make an awful noise like when you try tup put it on reverse whilst moving forwards and downshiftin from 4th to 3rd is hard but from 3rd to 2nd almost impossible and if you manage the car fells like lifting from the rear. when we opened them up we found 1st 2nd and 3rd gear + their synchros worn.

one of the gearboxes was broken during 1/4 mile along with the engine. that was a total disaster as i managed to wreck even the gearbox case. and the engine blew the gasket (overheating) and cracked the head so i got a new engine and gearbox.

but 1 of the gearboxes i broke and the one the preivious owner broke where both broken by normal road use well some rough acceleration but nothing major.

my suspect is on the slave cylinder as it has no dust cover...... could it be that the slave is not pushing as far as it s supposed to?? but if that s the problem won t it affect all gears? reverse did crunch a little on all boxes even when stopped and the worst problem was always with 2nd

the car dosen t shake on idle it only shakes when i push hard the throttle and it s not exactly a shake it sort of gives the car a push to the side think it s a worn mount

as for the parts i ve been looking at ebay but each time i find a car that s being broken the seller dosen t reply or says he dosen t ship to malta :(
you need someone to refurbish your gearbox ( out of two of them make one proper gearbox) ... it could be slave cylinder ... also the oli in the gearbox ... synchros for sure

but my friend that's not the gearbox for 1/4 mile racing ... it takes too long to shift if you want to make good time on 1/4 mile

you should find LSD if you don't have it and try some sideways action ... it much more fun trust me :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already found myself another gearbox. but unless i find that linkage i won t be able to assemble everything. If i find one then i ll get a new slave or a rebuild kit for the one i have.

I did the 1/4 mile cause it s too underpowered for sideways action mine is the 118bhp carbed engine :( and i was challenged lol.

for an lsd i guess the twin spark and v6 s only had them?? and aftermarket ones are expensive? never checked.....

i have the old broken linkage all that s missing is the 2 small flatbars that bolt to the gearbox but it looks like cast so welding won t hold could it be repaird by some other method?? like argon welding or brazing?? also do you think it would be good enough if i order a custom one from an engineering shop?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this morning i had nothing to do so i decided to give it a go.... I cleaned the linkage i broke :rant: and noticed that it was iron and the welding didn t grip on it cause it had paint mud and oils on it which makes me look like an idiot :cry: so after cleaning it i tried welding it again this time using arc welder. Unfortunately i lost the 2 small peices that go with it :eek: so i found a peice of flat bar lying around and welded that. after assembling the whole thing again i tried it on and it worked. I had the engine off as the gearbox is not in it s place. so I took it off again and gave it primer. i ll give it another layer of primer and color later tonight or tomorrow.... I also need to buy a slip pin (or what s it called lol) cause i had to drill the old one as it was too rusty and didn t come off (was a real pain drilling the pin and a worse pain taking the gearbox out ) hope this works and lasts :):):)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today i assambled the whole thing and the shifter finally shifts :D but when i lowered the car off the stands i noticed it was sideways so i took a look and found one of the springs went out of it s place and the bottom side locked itself under the dedion tube :( i ll try to get some spring clamps and fix it asap.

Actually i only tried 1st and reverse as the ba ottery almost died and i have not bleeded the clutch yet, but my guess is if 1st and reverse work the others will??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to bleed the clutch but the pedal is not getting as heavy as it should and gears wont get in. it also feels kinda spongy im thinking the slave needs a change or rebuild or maybe the master cylinder isn t in good shape either :( also the engine is missing and turns off after a few seconds and it feels hard to rev up ( tried it a couple of weeks ago worked fine) could it be that i loosened a wire or something? also is that thing under the coil a lumention system? cause i think i saw some loose wires there.....

mine is the old 105 series engine i think the twin cam 8v carbed..... thanks for your help

ohhh i almost forgot could it be out of petrol???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts