Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Im currently in the process of removing the v6 from my 75 and ive come to the point of removing the prop shaft. What i was wondering was where is the best place to disconnect the prop shaft so i can get the engine out?? The whole prop shaft will be coming off eventually so its no bother but i need to get this all done quickly if possible

Cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi Ya

Dont this several times recently and come tell you that the only way i would ever dont it is by removing the prop whole before moving the engine.

If you undo the rear the prop will hit the floor and you will struggle (if at all) to get the engine out with that jammed omn the floor. Remove it at the front and you will struggle to release it from the flywheel bolts on the rear of the engine because you cant move it back. Release it in the middle and it hangs there locked against the front studs and in the way!!!

Lastly break it under the car and you have to mark it and line it back up later to balance.

20 mins for the prop if theres two of you OR hours of fustrated work only to remove it anyway.

Thats my opinion and the way i do it,hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ya

Dont this several times recently and come tell you that the only way i would ever dont it is by removing the prop whole before moving the engine.

If you undo the rear the prop will hit the floor and you will struggle (if at all) to get the engine out with that jammed omn the floor. Remove it at the front and you will struggle to release it from the flywheel bolts on the rear of the engine because you cant move it back. Release it in the middle and it hangs there locked against the front studs and in the way!!!

Lastly break it under the car and you have to mark it and line it back up later to balance.

20 mins for the prop if theres two of you OR hours of fustrated work only to remove it anyway.

Thats my opinion and the way i do it,hope it helps.
Cheers for the advice, i will have a go at it once i finish work tonight, could really do with getting it out by the end of today so fingers crossed :thumbs: Once the prop is disconnected is does the engine come out fairly easy? it seems a bit tight but doesnt look like its going to give me trouble

·
Registered
782 Posts
It its anything like the GTV6 (which I'm sure it is) you should remove the shaft in one piece from under the car. As you probably know, jacking up the de-dion so the whole transaxle tips forward is the recommended way. It certainly took me more than 20mins but best of luck!

If the engine is slung from its own lift points, it shouldn't be too difficult to get out but it's best done with two people.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It its anything like the GTV6 (which I'm sure it is) you should remove the shaft in one piece from under the car. As you probably know, jacking up the de-dion so the whole transaxle tips forward is the recommended way. It certainly took me more than 20mins but best of luck!

If the engine is slung from its own lift points, it shouldn't be too difficult to get out but it's best done with two people.
When the prop eventually goes back together will it need to be lined up in a specific way? (basicly is it worth me marking it so i know which way to line it back up again when the engine goes back in?

Should be ok getting it out, ive got a overhead electric roof mounted engine crane which is in my opinion much better than the manual floor cranes so hopefully this will make life easier for me

·
Registered
782 Posts
I always paint the bolt, nut & washer sets and the location they came from in different colours so they go back in exactly the same place.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wife's/gf's nail varnish collection is ideal for the job :D
:lol::lol:

Im sure she would love that!

Turns out that someone has had it off in the past and marked it up very well so i didnt have to worry :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts