Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been in long term storage, +3 years.
.....about 1 year ago I tried to start it and started meddling with the ignition leads and I think I've mixed up the leads on the distributor cap. I know the f/order is 1342 but I put the leads in this order the engine pops and bangs trying to start.
Is it possible the distributor is 180Deg out of phase - due to a previous engine rebuild! ( I don't know of the history of my car).
Not sure what to do now...........!
Andy

·
Registered
35 Posts
My car has been in long term storage, +3 years.
.....about 1 year ago I tried to start it and started meddling with the ignition leads and I think I've mixed up the leads on the distributor cap. I know the f/order is 1342 but I put the leads in this order the engine pops and bangs trying to start.
Is it possible the distributor is 180Deg out of phase - due to a previous engine rebuild! ( I don't know of the history of my car).
Not sure what to do now...........!
Andy
Don't worry about it. Simply reverse the order of the ignition leads (start from the back of the engine instead of the back), or pull out the distributor and rotate it 180 degrees (some starty pants will probably say 360 degrees because it's a 4 stroke engine but you get tge idea).

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
From memory so happy to be corrected.
Dizzy cap off and spark plugs out. Turn the engine by hand or rock it fowards while in gear. Watch down plug hole as valves open and close and piston strokes up and down. Stroke 1 - power, valves closed. Stroke 2 - exhaust, valve open on exhaust side. Stoke 3 - induction, valve open on inlet side. Stroke 4 - compression, valves closed. Rotor arm should rotate and reach plug 1 on power stroke.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
doubt rotating the dizzy will help, the cog fits only one way.

find TDC on compression: P/punto timing mark on pulley, both front cam lobes facing out and aligned with the cam cap marks (remember the cams have 2 marks 180 degrees opposite, so cam lobes need to face out from one another!) - or follow Trifffclarke's method of looking at valves down the # 1 cyl plug hole - and see where the rotor points....that is cyl #1

If it points to front of car, dizzy is correct (there is usually a small mark, a nick, on edge to distributor for #1, see photo, where it says "mark on distributor"), if it points somewhere about 10 o clock the dizzy is 180 out, so connect cyl #1 lead into the cap there, then follow around clockwise with 3-4-2 leads (engine cylinders are 1-2-3-4 from front to rear)

try starting

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok....so I've been back out to the car and had a think about this...........imagine this:

If you are leaning over the drivers wing looking into the engine bay.............looking at the distributor in situ' as a clockface....and looking down at it.......the lead going into the distributor cap for no4 cylinder is at the 12 O'clock position, the other leads....going in a clockwise position are plug 2 at the 3 o'clock position followed by plug 1 (now closest to you) at the 6 o'clock position and plug 3 lead at the 9 o'clock position...........indication a 1-3-4-2 firing order.
Could someone confirm that this is right or wrong in situ' on their car...I think it's wrong because the exhaust pops and bangs when I try to start it...a sure sign of incorrect timing (Distributor has not been moved)...thanks, Andy

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Ok....so I've been back out to the car and had a think about this...........imagine this:

If you are leaning over the drivers wing looking into the engine bay.............looking at the distributor in situ' as a clockface....and looking down at it.......the lead going into the distributor cap for no4 cylinder is at the 12 O'clock position, the other leads....going in a clockwise position are plug 2 at the 3 o'clock position followed by plug 1 (now closest to you) at the 6 o'clock position and plug 3 lead at the 9 o'clock position...........indication a 1-3-4-2 firing order.
Could someone confirm that this is right or wrong in situ' on their car...I think it's wrong because the exhaust pops and bangs when I try to start it...a sure sign of incorrect timing (Distributor has not been moved)...thanks, Andy
sounds incorrect;) cyl#1 is just past 3 o'clock, if you will......look for the #1 mark on the edge of dizzy as in photo 1 (if there is a dust cover remove it to see mark)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have that mark at all......my rotor arm is not like that in the picture, it's much bigger and circular. If you say that no1 Cylinder is at the 3 o'clock position on my car the 3 o'clock position is for No2 cylinder............

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
if that doesn't work try 9 o'clock for #1, followed by 3 4 2

if both do not work, then I am at a loss:)
you can only get it right (correct oil pump shaft to dizzy shaft orientation when the engine was put together) or 180 degrees out

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
The distributor will only go in the one way, it has an offset D drive. 180 deg out is no big deal, I had mine like that for a while after careless replacement of the cams.

Reactions: sbadaro

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a reference,

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts