Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 1973 Alfa 2000GTV with 90000 miles on the clock, the car is in good working condition. I am buying in Majorca and driving back to the UK. Can anyone recommend a minimum toolkit for normal problems and what parts you would definitely take (I'm going to have european breakdown, so I don't need to go mad, just would rather not get caught out by something obvious and easy). I've never had an alfa before, but I'm experienced fixing and keeping old beasts going.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well congratulations, that'll be a long drive! I'd get spare plugs, points, distributor cap, maybe HT leads plus a normal toolkit. Make sure the jack works ok and if it has the original factory jack make sure the car has all 4 jacking points fitted and solid. Take spare classic oil and check oil level during the trip.

Others will be along soon I'm sure with other suggestions.

Bar a gearbox issue just after I bought it my '72 GTV has run faultlessly for 10,000 miles so a long trip should be OK

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
That will be a good test drive!
Check air cleaner is not too filthy, if so change it there and then.
I would add a fanbelt to the above recommendations...costs a few pounds, but you never know and is easy to change....and maybe a 5 litre can of spare fuel:)

Obviously check oil level, brake and clutch oil levels, tyre pressures and especially the spare tyre. I also always carry a large bottle of water mixed 50/50 with antifreeze.......well, you are driving an alfa after all! My boot has no room for luggage it is so full of odd things to get me from the supermarket back home:lol:

As for oil a decent quality 20/50 classic oil will do the job fine. Doesn't have to be fancy synthetic or anything...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd change the oil before you set off and I'd consider flushing the rad and putting in fresh coolant.

Spare bulbs and a handful of electrical connectors & fuses

A dashboard mounted Fan may be required.

Congrats,
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Hi Thanks for the advice so far, I'm getting the kit together and trying to work out when to pick up with the seller (he's very flexible so far).

Also, any suggested good routes from people who have done a similar trip would be appreciated?

Thanks again for everyone's help

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I have tried a number of tool kits for long journeys in an Alfa, whatever you bring, the one left handed hexagonal thingymajig is always missing! Now I use one of these - seems to work OK so far

1 - 9 of 9 Posts