Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 6th June is fast approaching and am wondering if people celebrate the day or just go about without giving it a 2nd thought.

Im going to special ceremony with my grandparents like I always do, this is the 1st time I have not gone over to Normandy after going for the last 5years.

So what are your plans people??

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My Dad was on Sword, 6 minutes ahead of H Hour at 07:24 on 6/6/1944.

He was a loader / operator in a Sherman Crab / Flail.

We've been back several times but sadly not with him as he died when I was 16 in 1986.

We were last there for the 60th Anniversary in 2004.

A very moving place.....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VE days a fecking bank holiday here, with proper
cermonies at all the memorials etc. As it should be.

Makes me a bit sad too. to remember that back home these things get moved to the weekend etc.

:(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Dad was on Sword, 6 minutes ahead of H Hour at 07:24 on 6/6/1944.

He was a loader / operator in a Sherman Crab / Flail.

We've been back several times but sadly not with him as he died when I was 16 in 1986.

We were last there for the 60th Anniversary in 2004.

A very moving place.....
Sorry to hear that SR :(

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving through France it's very sobering to
stop at some of the battlefield memorials, graves etc
from both world wars.

Most of them aren't off the beaten track and
they are places that make you think.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sorry to hear that SR :(
No worries. I'm still really proud of him and I remember his stories well:thumbs:

I wish I could have asked more questions though:(

His Regiment gave me loads of details and I met up with one of his Brothers in Arms who lives in Chesterfield:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't do anything specific, but i do spare a thought for those who fought in WW2....

My family are divided.....My father's side of the family are welsh and fought for the allies, my mothers side were German, my Grandad, her father was a Submariner, he was captured and was a POW in a camp in Glocestershire, her mum was a support worker there and that is how they met.

as you can imagine between the families there were a few issues that i don't believe were ever fully resolved

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So 6th June is fast approaching and am wondering if people celebrate the day or just go about without giving it a 2nd thought.

Im going to special ceremony with my grandparents like I always do, this is the 1st time I have not gone over to Normandy after going for the last 5years.

So what are your plans people??

I take my Grandad over most years, went last year in fact. This year will be a Pantomime because of Obama going to visit. All the hotels are booked, the restaurants will be cramed, the monuments will be packed etc etc.
We'll celebrate at home on the day itself and take the old boy over in Autumn when the hype has died down.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the end of the day each solder was doing their job. The solders that I think were animals and should be shot are those of the SS!!!!

Hence why I don't have anything against Germans at all, in fact they are very nice people :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't do anything specific, but i do spare a thought for those who fought in WW2....

My family are divided.....My father's side of the family are welsh and fought for the allies, my mothers side were German, my Grandad, her father was a Submariner, he was captured and was a POW in a camp in Glocestershire, her mum was a support worker there and that is how they met.

as you can imagine between the families there were a few issues that i don't believe were ever fully resolved
It's an interesting point that stems from this. We naturally in Britain remember our dead at times like this, but how many of us spare more than a brief moment of thought for the enemy?

Were they not ordinary soldiers working under orders as well? :confused:

Lets spare a thought for all the brave soldiers who died in such savage fighting, regardless of the uniform they wore.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
@ HST. In Normandy, there is little or no animosity against the Axis soldiers that died and their graveyard's are maintained to the same high standards as the Allied Cemeteries.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ HST. In Normandy, there is little or no animosity against the Axis soldiers that died and their graveyard's are maintained to the same high standards as the Allied Cemeteries.
Glad to hear it :thumbs:

will make the journey myself one day, as I have ancestors buried in france from both world wars, but I made my point because of some of the attitudes i've encountered over the years. Thankfully I think things have changed dramatically in recent generations, and that can only give hope for peace in europe for the future.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's an interesting point that stems from this. We naturally in Britain remember our dead at times like this, but how many of us spare more than a brief moment of thought for the enemy?

Were they not ordinary soldiers working under orders as well? :confused:

Lets spare a thought for all the brave soldiers who died in such savage fighting, regardless of the uniform they wore.
I do see where your coming from there fella, sadly I think its called compasion for remembering the dead of the enemy and thats what lots of people lack I feel :(

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'll be doing the same that I do every year.

If you are ever near Mont St Michel go and visit the Mont-d’Huisnes which is the only German Mausoleum in France, it is a very peaceful place.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be doing the same that I do every year.

If you are ever near Mont St Michel go and visit the Mont-d’Huisnes which is the only German Mausoleum in France, it is a very peaceful place.
Cheers for the tip :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts