Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure that the posted duration table for the giulia/stelvio injectors doesn't have any factor?

They seem WAY too overkill for a 150hp engine and the manufacturers tend to use injectors as small as possible, for emission reasons.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Why not? The target is, to inject the fuel as fast as possible in the combustion chamber to have enough time to burn all fuel.

And manufacturers always want to become more efficient. More and more cars have the same parts to save money.

First drill-test is done but the drilling machine is bad. And in my good drilling maschines, i cant use the drill. The shaft is 13mm and thats to big... Next tests after holiday :)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Are you sure that the posted duration table for the giulia/stelvio injectors doesn't have any factor?

They seem WAY too overkill for a 150hp engine and the manufacturers tend to use injectors as small as possible, for emission reasons.
The 2.1 jtdm engine is designed for an output of 210 hp. All lower versions are downtunes with the same hardware (expect for the turbo). This is perfectly possible while keeping the emission standards.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The project is going on :)

I have ordered a flat reamer from Zimber Tools in Bulgaria. Shipping needs some time but a few days ago, it was delivered.

Here some picutres of the flat reamer and a drawing from me, how i want to modificate it. If its done, i will did the next drill tests.

And Joel measured the injector braket. Thanks for that!

Stay tuned :D

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
First testdrill is done with the tool.

It's not easy to describe.

Is it possible with installed head? Yes!
Does it make sense to drill it with installed head? I'm not sure.

It definitely needs to be closed the nozzle hole! I have some ideas how to do that and i will make some drawings in the next days.

I have opened the hole with the flat reamer and a 19mm drill. Only the flat reamer doens't work, because the hole has 19.2 or 19.3mm diameter and the flat reamer exactly 19.0mm. So you have everytime a small edge and when you go deeper, the reamer creats an exactly 19.0mm diameter hole. Thats not funny. Everbody who drilled a hole in aluminum know what i mean. So you need oil. Oil and aluminium chippings - not funny. Drill, vacuum cleaner, clean the drill and reamer, drill, vacuum cleaner and so on...
And you can't center the flat reamer exactly. The hole is not 100% straight because the difference in the diameter. I think this is not a problem, but its not perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
nice job.

And putting a shaft in the center of the reamer? Your tool has this form:
====[ ]
with a shaft of the diameter a tad smaller to the tip of the injector so as not to enlarge the entrance to the cylinder head, the vertical reaming could be done.
====[ ]--
regards

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This was also an idea, but for me is the reamer after a second drill test today, useless. Its ok, to flat the edge after the drill but not to drill the hole.

Today i used only a 19mm drill. I limited the torqued of the drilling machine and drill the hole step by step. Its faster and easier as the flat reamer.

But you need a really good drilling machine! You need to regulate the speed very soft.

I will try it next year on my engine. Now i have the buy all the other parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I think it might be better to use a mill, since it makes a "flat" bottom surface instead of the cone you get from the drill. Best would be to have the head off and do it on a milling machine so you can have the depth exactly equal on all 4, and parrallel to the mounting surface.

On your photo it looks like the injector tip must be lowered a bit more btw.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Joel, you never touch the bottom of the seat with the drill. But yes, its better to use a mill but its also a lot of more work.

And the injector was not complete clean, when i put the injector in. Its looks absolut the same with the 327s test injector.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts