Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
not sure if anyone can make any other suggestions.
I have a X reg 3ltr 166 it is showing a missfire on the diagnostics just saying missfire on 135. Mech has checked all electrics out, and all seems fine, any sugestions before he checks the cam belt?.could the rear cam shaft have moved ?

any ideas or suggestions whoule be gratefully accepted...Thank you

·
Registered
908 Posts
I had exactly the same misfire. It was the cam timing. You are going to need a new cambelt and tensioner and find a mechanic who can align 4 camshafts!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can a cam slip on the belt then as i had the cam belt + ilders etcdone 2-3 years ago and have done 20,000 miles with no problems.
It started with a co2 sensor showing on the diangonstic but when reading taken 'live' it was ok.
After a while it is now showing missfire on the back bank......oh dear thanks for your info Midlife

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had 2 instances of rear cam slippage on my 164 3.0 24V. It too caused a misfire and I wasted a lot of time/money on it before finally diagnosing the cam problem. Lots of replies to my post said that this only happens on 164s and not 166s because the design changed to ensure better "wrap" of the belt round the rear cam. So you may be quite unlucky to have this happen.
It's quite a big job to correct and you need a set of cam lockers to do so. I bought a set and was glad I did when it slipped a second time because I had incorrectly tensioned it (it ain't easy).
Anyway all's well now (I hope).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
can a cam slip on the belt then as i had the cam belt + ilders etcdone 2-3 years ago and have done 20,000 miles with no problems.
It started with a co2 sensor showing on the diangonstic but when reading taken 'live' it was ok.
After a while it is now showing missfire on the back bank......oh dear thanks for your info Midlife
I had 2 instances of rear cam slippage on my 164 3.0 24V. It too caused a misfire and I wasted a lot of time/money on it before finally diagnosing the cam problem. Lots of replies to my post said that this only happens on 164s and not 166s because the design changed to ensure better "wrap" of the belt round the rear cam. So you may be quite unlucky to have this happen.
It's quite a big job to correct and you need a set of cam lockers to do so. I bought a set and was glad I did when it slipped a second time because I had incorrectly tensioned it (it ain't easy).
Anyway all's well now (I hope).
In most cases it is the cam pulleys that "slip" on the camshaft as there are no keys or dowels but just a tappered interferance fit:)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
whereabouts in the Midlands are you?

I have a set of said locks if you wished to borrow them. I am in Sutton Coldfield.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm near coventry but I have a mech who thinks he can borrow a set but thank you very much for your offer Purple, if i need to borrow them i will message you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts