Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to get my entire music collection on the B&M system for my 159 SW I initially bought the dongle for the iphone I have. This works well after updating the firmware to 5.5 and the iphone 4 on iOS 5.01. However, as has been noted on many other threads, the tracks are listed alphabetically, not by album or artist, so for me, not very helpful. The bluetoothe connection for the phone functions works excellently by the way. It may well be I shall be selling on the dongle if the item below proves to work so well!!

I have about 53 gB of files on my Window Media Player and wanted this to be accessable in the car, by album or artist, not alphebtically or 'random'. Read all the threads here and realised that Alfa recommend 32 gB as a maximum and that Windows 7 can't format USBs larger than 16gB in FAT32! What a bummer!
Undeterred I purchased a reputable make of USB stick (Verbatim) and attempted to re-format from NTS (?) to FAT32- sure enough W7 wasn't having any! So I simply transferred a few albums worth on the stick 'as was', to test it.
Put it in the USB drive in the car and the media player built the library and worked perfectly. Back to the computer and 1.5 hours later (!) I had transferred all my music to the USB stick. Interestingly the USB stick, under 'properties' now says FAT32 format!?

Re-loaded the stick; it took about 10 minutes to build the library. I tested various combinations of artists and albums and always worked well so I think I've cracked it?! I must say that moving through the files via the steering wheel controls to get to a particular album is a bit long winded but then it is even if you only have a few CDs loaded.

I hope this is of some use to others.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I might have been a bit hastey!!

I now see that about 30% of my albums are not 'visable' even though they are on the USB stick. Maybe I will try to load only 32gB worth onto the stick and try those first and then add a few more at a time to see what happens- I am sure there must be a solution!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've travelled down a similar route and was going to create a new post about it, but you look like the perfect person to ask more directly.

In my previous car I had a stereo that played CDs full of MP3s, with about 11 albums split into seperate folders I loved it. Recently bought a Mito with Blu&Me. The stereo plays the same MP3 packed CDs and with the main control I can use left/right to skip tracks and up/down to skip directories, or albums as per the file structure of the discs.

I thought I'd try using a flashdisk in the USB port (I don't have any iPod or similar) and was thrilled when the stereo detected the device and began to play the MP3s. The solid state nature of the flashdisk is far more robust than CDs, and with a much greater capacity I can easily have over 100 albums at a time.

However, with the USB flashdisk, while the left/right control still skips tracks, the up/down control does nothing. So listening to the next album requires skipping 15 tracks rather than skipping to the next directory. The file structure on the flashdisk is the same as the CDs, so is quite frustrating.

Is there a particular file structure that will allow me to "album skip" on a flashdisk full of MP3s?

Perhaps there's a firmware update that I do not have? But I do not know how to update it.

Your advice would be fab!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts