21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
I followed a 2 stroke motorbike home tonight, the smell from the uncatalysed exhaust with oil smoke mixed in was lovely.

And it didn't make me choke or feel ill like the fumes from a Diesel.

·
Registered
381 Posts
View attachment 941844

Because EVs produce nearly as much PM as Euro V. Tyres (more so because EVs are heavy) and brakes are a huge contributor.

PM only reduces the life of a person by 2 days in the UK. Source in page 67: https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/healthy-environment-healthy-lives
It is so low they measure it as years of life lost per 100,000 people.

These are completely unnecessary measures.
EVs however produce bugger all from brakes. But this trial isn’t about PM.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In Germany, putting a speedlimit on the Autobahn is said to reduce CO2 emissions by 1.4% so it's not gonna have much big of an effect IMO.

A proper government would provide alternatives (synthetic fuels etc.) to it's citizens rather than slow them down.
The Germans are providing alternatives, with some of the most generous EV incentives.

Marginal gains on liquid fuels for ICE is polishing the brass on the titanic, ICE is dead for a number of good reasons.

There are other reasons to slow down beyond emissions and energy consumption though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you want to reduce pollution in Germany you should start getting rid of your coal power electricity power station.
Germany is on it. They’ve already shut down the black coal power stations, and have in train a plan to phase out their lignite power stations. With the support of the workers I might add...

It’s a shame they’re going backwards in other areas, their wind power capacity is reducing and they seem to be banking on imported hydrogen for their long term energy needs... :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
They should get off the roads the 1000's of vehicles which are, un taxed, no insurance or mot, banned drivers, vehicles with removed or tampered emmision systems and not forgetting the ones belching out smoke because of lack of servicing or a engine warning light stuck on.
Irrelevant. A separate issue, non action on which does not support not undertaking measures to address a broader issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We would if the eco idiots didn't destroy our nuclear power. And don't say turn them off because you know what's happening in California.
Eco idiots? Seriously? The same eco idiots that are making it impossible to install any new wind farms or even replace old ones?

Germany has its share of idiots like everywhere else, but the ones suggesting old nuclear power stations are perhaps a bit risky are not what I’d call idiots... Or maybe you’d like to store all the waste yourself in Germany? In your town perhaps?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why don't the governement put a bit more effort into preventing stop start traffic due to congestion on our motorways? Stopping and starting would create much more pollution than sitting at 2,500 rpm at 70mph surely? Not to mention brake particulates.
More public transport would be nice.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I followed a 2 stroke motorbike home tonight, the smell from the uncatalysed exhaust with oil smoke mixed in was lovely.

And it didn't make me choke or feel ill like the fumes from a Diesel.
There are many seriously toxic substances that are sweet to smell and taste, and are quite pleasant ways to die.

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
I messed around with loads of two stroke bikes in my younger years and i have lived to tell the tale. But if i start up the (diesel) Alfa and allow it to run whilst de-icing the windows it makes me choke like hell.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I messed around with loads of two stroke bikes in my younger years and i have lived to tell the tale. But if i start up the (diesel) Alfa and allow it to run whilst de-icing the windows it makes me choke like hell.
That Alfa isn’t much fun for anyone unlucky enough to be behind it in traffic either...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Speed limits are frustrating but I see their need as a good chunk of people are not responsible.

I live near the A13 near London and it utterly winds me up there is a 50 mph speed limit enforced with average cameras THAT ARE ACTIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY CAR ON 3 LANES :devilish: Plus when it's busy you haven't got a hope in hell of doing 50 mph anyway!!!

The mandatory speed limiters can be disabled but you'd have to do it each time you get in the car. There might be a wide open throttle override too for 'emergencies'. I think you can be sure the ECU will record any overrides which could be interesting in the case of an insurance claim.
Spare a thought for the kids today, some girl at work is 18 and she has a black box on her car. The instant she goes over the speed limit, even by a fraction she gets an email from the insurer. Do it 3 times and her policy gets cancelled apparently :oops:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Spare a thought for the kids today, some girl at work is 18 and she has a black box on her car. The instant she goes over the speed limit, even by a fraction she gets an email from the insurer. Do it 3 times and her policy gets cancelled apparently :oops:
Wow, thats a bit 1984!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Probably the only way she gets affordable insurance...When I learnt to drive over 20 years ago my first yearly premium was something insane like £1500 back then!!
When I was that age I drove a 25 year old car I bought for $700 (1969 Rover 2000TC - bloody great car!!) and only needed third party property insurance... Think it was about $80 a year in the mid 1990s - is about $3-400 these days. Maybe she should considered an old cheap car until her insurance is sensible?

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I was that age I drove a 25 year old car I bought for $700 (1969 Rover 2000TC - bloody great car!!) and only needed third party property insurance... Think it was about $80 a year in the mid 1990s - is about $3-400 these days. Maybe she should considered an old cheap car until her insurance is sensible?
It's an 8 year old VW Up 1.0!!! I don't think insurers like kids these days :censored:

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's an 8 year old VW Up 1.0!!! I don't think insurers like kids these days :censored:
Thats absolutly insane... UK insurance has always done my head in. I have never been able to understand why you pay so much!!

A brand new 2019 Guilietta costs us $800 to comprehensively insure with a lifetime new for old replacement. And thats after the insurance all went up following the bushfires and a hailstorm in our city that totalled 30,000 cars.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thats absolutly insane... UK insurance has always done my head in. I have never been able to understand why you pay so much!!

A brand new 2019 Guilietta costs us $800 to comprehensively insure with a lifetime new for old replacement. And thats after the insurance all went up following the bushfires and a hailstorm in our city that totalled 30,000 cars.
Bit off topic but tell me about it! UK insurance has always p!ssed me off, I've given them tens of thousands over the years and received nothing except for pieces of paper as I've never claimed. Woe for anyone cancelling a policy half way through it's term as they refund you almost nothing.... Right now I insure both my 156 Busso and a Honda Civic 1.8 for £700 total, which isn't bad but I am getting on a bit!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts