Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just completed a big round trip from Bristol to York which is all motorway or dual carriage way and the engine temp seemed a cool, around 60 degrees. I've not really done many long periods of high speed driving and it's always been around 90 degrees as I believe it should.

Do I have a problem with a thermostatic valve somewhere or is it just that it was pretty damn cold and I was doing 70 - 80mph for a couple of hours?

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. I got 30mpg which I was quite impressed with.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
it is too cold. You need a new thermostat.

Should be around 85-90ºC

Simon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Charlie,

I replaced my thermostat recently and it now gets up to temperature quicker, but still sticks to 60 ish or just about unless I give it a bit of a thrashing.

Do you actually want it getting any hotter?? surely too cool rather than too hot is a good thing. I just make sure I drive at least 5-10 mins before I even think about putting my foot down a bit.

Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ive had new thermostat and new radiator, flushed coolant with new stuff etc, when on motorway sticks around 70 when cooler weather, local town around 85/90

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too cool is better than too hot, I think, but I thought the V6 was supposed to operate at about 90 degrees.

Does any one know of the consequences of running it too cool?

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Running too cool is almost as bad.

Running cool means the engine is running too rich. Excess fuel will contaminate the oil causing excess wear, as well as wash oil from the bores.

You will also suffer a cold heater, worse fuel economy, high emissions and more condensation inside the engine.

If it doesn't run at around 85-90ºC (on a V6 slightly cooler on TS depending on model year) then something is wrong. Normally the thermostat stuck open.

A few years back I bought a 164 V6 with a stuck open thermostat. I changed the stat and the oil and a few days later the engine threw a rod.
I looked in the breathers and they were full of mayonaise from condensation. I think that's more than a coincidence, and my reckoning is that the big ends had become damaged by the excess water that had condesed into the oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Think I'll get me new thermostat. Though hopefully my engine won't have a similar fate to teh 164,as it hasn't done many miles running that cool.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
You should be ok. I have the feeling that that particular 164 had been run for quite a while with a failed stat. :rolleyes:

It had only done 72000 miles as well.

If it has been running for a while with a stuck open stat I would change the oil, just because it may be diluted with fuel. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
My car has a brand new thermostat but still drops way below 80 on the motorway. If I give it a bit of a thrashing it runs at 80ish. It sits at a consistent 90 in town. Any ideas?

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
My car has a brand new thermostat but still drops way below 80 on the motorway. If I give it a bit of a thrashing it runs at 80ish. It sits at a consistent 90 in town. Any ideas?
I would say that is ok, there is a small amount of innacuracy in the gauge anyway. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Alfa156.net claims the following:

The water temp rises too slowly, hitting 90c° only after 10Km (driving
about 90Km/h with 5c° outside), when temp reaches 90 it suddenly drops
to 75-80 and then rises a little but usually is always below 90c°.

Reason:
Alfa uses a different way of showing the temperature compared
to i.e. Opel, Audi, VW. I guess Seat is VW so......
The difference is that in fact the temperature always goes up and
down because there is a thermostat (in all cars!!) that opens when
the cooling circuit reaches a certain temperature like 90dgr.
When the thermostat opens, a whole lot of relativaly "cold" cooling
drops from 90 to 70-75dgr.
Alfa shows this immediately on the temperature indicator whereas many
other cars measure an AVERAGE temperature that goes up and down very
slowly and certainly will not show the peaks like the Alfa way.
I guess this is done because the "normal" car driver will get in panic
and goes and see their dealer to check if nothing is wrong and Alfa is
of the opinion that Alfisti, as real, true car drivers, as enthousiastic
and knowledgeable car dirvers and can "see through" this.

So, forget about bothering the dealer, just enjoy your Alfa and keep
a regular eye on all engine fluids; don't forget the fuel tank ;-)

Thanks to Gert-Jan from Holland for this info!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
All sounds about right to me. Remember, this is Alfa electronics you are talking about. I would never begin to imagine that the number it points to is an accurate temperature measure! Its the way it bahaves that counts. The stat is well known for leaking/failure and when it does it takes several miles for the engine to warm, or even register temperature. Therefore the engine runs rich & consumption suffers, but think it would have to be extremely long term issue to cause the oil contamination & wear problems. Just changed mine & now it registers temperature within 0.5-1 mile. They only cost £18 & takes about 20mins so just do it (get a gasket too).

So, the key issue is that it gets up to "normal" temperature within a mile or two, stays constant in normal road use & doesn't overheat (ie, the fan works) in traffic.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
2.0 TS I get around 80-85 on main roads, it goes upto 92 in traffic, fan kicks in and it drops down to 85 again. Takes a good 10-15 minutes or so to fully warm up. Mine also varies a fair bit, it likes to go up when travlling up hill on main roads, and when leveling off it usually drops quite sharply when it reaches aroind 90, presumably because the stat has opened due to temperature rise (culmination of hotter fluid moving away from the stat when leveling off?)

Anyway before I got the new stat it was usually stuck at around 60 when moving at anything over 20mph. If it's doing this you definately need a new thermostat.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Could be a lazy gauge or temp sender, to check you could always hook up to the ECU. You should be able to get at what the brain thinks the engine temp is. If that seems wrong then your temp sender is US and your car might be running rich with all the consequences Symonh describes. (I think I'm right in saying the temp gauge is driven off the one engine temp sender on the V6, not a seperate one just for the gauge. Not sure about 2.0l cars, I think they're different)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thermostat failure is one of the most common things on Italian cars, just get a new one, replace it, top up the coolant and be on your way with fully warm motoring once more :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
what sort of price is a stat for a v6 and how diy is it?? as its been a few months since i had a bad heat day. the rad was shot and i left it too long, the engine overheated and the coolant tank ruptured, also the fans burned out. so ££££ later i had new rad, fans, fan switch, bottle, coolant, and electrics. but now the engine barely reaches 60 on a 15 minute trip and the fans cut in at about 70-75 so never hits 90 now.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hmm, that sounds like a different problem to me. The fans are not triggered by the stat - the stat is a mechanical thing that opens when the temp gets to about 88ºC, the fans must be triggered by the signal from the temperature sender or failing that from the ECU when it registers the temperature over a certain level. Surely that points to a faulty gauge?

But to answer your question the stat is dead cheap for the V6 and easy to fit, much more so than the TS which is not that hard anyway... - 20 quid+vat etc i think

Alfa Romeo GTV and SPIDER thermostat for 3.0 V6 cars

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently replaced my stat but the gauge is reading the same! its using a fair bit of oil as well any ideas? i think the mpg is around 30 on mainly a roads though!

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
I recently replaced my stat but the gauge is reading the same! its using a fair bit of oil as well any ideas? i think the mpg is around 30 on mainly a roads though!
If your car is a phase 1 TS (with Aluminium engine cover) it is normal for the temp reading to be around 10ºC lower than the later plastic topped cars.

The sensor for the gauge is screwed into the metal part of the cylinder head so is not in contact with the coolant.
On later Plastic topped car the gauge was recalibrated to take this into account.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Aye! My GTV temp gauge does move about a lot more than the one in my 155.. so a lot of movement when the stat opens seems to be normal for the GTV (I had mine from new, and I presume it works correctly).

Up to 90, then rapidly back down to 75 before settling at 80/85.. with occasional wandering up to 90 again...

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts