Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 6 speed gearbox is avaliable (or will fit) to a 93 Q4? Also, are there any strengthing kits avaliable?

Cheers,
Alex

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the punto came with a 6 speed so does the 156 but as the Q4 uses the lancia intergrale unit the punto box will not fit and i doubt the 156 unit is the same ,lancia never made a 6 speed so dont think you will have much luck..sorry..

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Has the Q4 got a close ratio 5 speed? If the fith speed is an overdrive (as most normal cars but maybe not very sporty ones) then I think you can get a better ratio fifth gera from Autodelta.. not entirely sure if its them or not :confused: This give the higher speed for the same revs.

I tried to get a higher ratio for my 6th gear on the 156 V6 but they said its not been doen before and would cost lots frown

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex : How much will you offer?You could try to ask Quaife,I'm sure they can sort something out.(Just a matter of money). www.quaife.co.uk .

Why could the 6 speed box from 156/166 not fit?It's a little bigger though,could means that the full lock stering to one side could be redused.Ofcource it's a little dangerous to try this when nobody have tryed it yet (at least we don't know any).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a 6 speed is only about 1-2 inches longer than a 5 speed it just depends on the bolt pattern of the bell housing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
But it's pretty easy to get the bell housing modified or a bell housing adapter plate made...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about the fiat coupe? did the 16v tubro have a 6 speed option?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Integrale's used a 6 speeder in competetion, but anything u find is going to be mega expensive, the only other option is to get the Holzer longer 5th gear, but after a friend had one of those shatter, I don't think I'll be going that way. I think the Q4 is undergeared, in the top 3 gears, but I'm not going to do anything about it, as I don't fancy loosing my licence. Mind you I did have a laugh on Sunday, guy in a porsche Boxter, dropped down to 4th to try and get away from me on the M20 back into london, I left it in 5th and left him for dead once he had pulled over.

Bloody hairdressers

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh forget the rally box i doubt it will even fit..the limited edition coupe 20v turbo did have a 6speed g/box i looked on the parts c.d today it will cost £1200 for a new one.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the Coupe 20v Turbo gearbox will fit in bolt pattern of the bell housing,so will Alfa's 6'er.

But how about antispin on the Coupe 20v T.?I would think it is mechanicle,but if you take 6 gear's box from a 166 3,0,it is electronic.Could the Q4 lock's/differencials fit on this box???? :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
duh...what am i saying if you have a Q4 forget it the gearbox is totaly different it has two diffs for a start one in the g/box and one right next to it(ferguson coupling)also it has the output shaft for the propshaft so no a coupe or any other g/box will not fit unless its from an intergrale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts