Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought a used 1.4 TB MiTo a month ago. It has 27k miles on the clock. The last time it was serviced they put 5w30 Castrol Magnatec in the engine. But the user manual suggests 5w40?

1-Should I go for an oil change? is there any chance of damage? or should I wait until the next service time, is 5w30 okay?

2-What brand oil do you recommend for the 5w40? Selenia is not common in my area.

Thanks in advance guys :)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
The correct spec is: FIAT 9.55535-S2
Which is an ACEA C3 5W40

There are several oils that meet the FIAT 9.55535-S2 specs.
This Link shows a few and I'm sure there will be more.

I'd personally get it changed to the correct spec oil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi guys,

I bought a used 1.4 TB MiTo a month ago. It has 27k miles on the clock. The last time it was serviced they put 5w30 Castrol Magnatec in the engine. But the user manual suggests 5w40?

1-Should I go for an oil change? is there any chance of damage? or should I wait until the next service time, is 5w30 okay?

2-What brand oil do you recommend for the 5w40? Selenia is not common in my area.

Thanks in advance guys :)
It should have 5w 40 in it,
best to check at Castrol, which will give you the correct oil to use.

http://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/search

I only use Castrol in all my cars, you get what you pay for.

D

·
0 Posts
As the other guys have mentioned, best to change the oil for the correct spec :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
which magnatec was used?

We use Magnatec Professional MP 5w-30 at work, which is ACEA C3 rated. It conforms to the same standards as the required oil but isa bit more economical during the warm-up phase. There's no operational difference between such a thick 30 weight and a thin 40 weight like edge.

if you check the SAE J300 chart you'll see that 30 weight is a class with kinematic viscosity between 9.3 and 12.49 centistokes. 40 weight is a class from 12.5 to 16.29 centistokes.

the magnatec MP we use is at 12.18 cst, edge is 13 cst. Under high stress and temperature they both confirm to the same standard: viscosity above 3.5 mPa.s.

More importantly, they both have a Noack under 10%.

So, investigate exactly which oil you got, an ACEA C2 is NOT sufficient!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts